[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] IDE controller for IBM XT's

gt0952b@prism.gatech.EDU (NEWTON,GREGORY PATRICK) (02/28/91)

To everyone who sent me mail about an IDE controller for an XT,
here is what I found out.

> From: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen)
> To: gt0952b@prism.gatech.edu
> Subject: Re: IDE controller for XT???

> jameco adp50 $79.95 8 bit ide controller.... pc/xt/ps2-25
> 415-592-8097 voice,  592-2503 fax
> al

> --
> Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
> InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
> Bitnet: AMICHIEL@SUNRISE

Thanks a lot Al...

Greg

----
Gregory P. Newton, College of Computing
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0952b
Internet: gt0952b@prism.gatech.edu

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (02/28/91)

In article <22960@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0952b@prism.gatech.EDU (NEWTON,GREGORY PATRICK) writes:
>> jameco adp50 $79.95 8 bit ide controller.... pc/xt/ps2-25
>> 415-592-8097 voice,  592-2503 fax

I called them to get some more info on the controller ... got to the company
that makes them & found out:
	1) This is an HD only controller
	2) This controller has a BIOS that restricts the IDE drives supported
	   to those SPECIFICALLY in the BIOS.  There is apparently a "program
	   available" that will allow anyone with a PROM programmer to set
	   up specific drives not already supported.

I was also given phone numbers for local suppliers ... one of them would
sell it for $45.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr