[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] rs232 interface for tape backup

DEEJ@MAINE.BITNET (Dj Merrill) (02/23/91)

Does anyone know of a tape backup unit for a pc that will attach to the
serial port??
I have several machines that I have to keep backed up on a regular basis,
and I would like to easily move the tape unit from one machine to the next,
without having a special interface in each machine.
Please send replies to   deej@maine.maine.edu or deej@grouse.umesve.maine.edu
thank you..
-Dj Merrill

rob@newsserver.sfu.ca (Rob Carpenter) (02/23/91)

In <91053.122452DEEJ@MAINE.BITNET> DEEJ@MAINE.BITNET (Dj Merrill) writes:

>Does anyone know of a tape backup unit for a pc that will attach to the
>serial port??

>-Dj Merrill

I think you'll find rather quickly that if you backup machines at 115K
baud, you'll be waiting a VERY long time.

I believe someone mentioned a Tape Backup Unit that would connect to the
parallel port.  (Somewhere on comp.periphs)

This would probably be the most desirable.

"Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana."
"Check your reality dipstick, I think you're a quart low."
"If there's nothing wrong with me, there must be something wrong
 with the universe."
      Rob Carpenter             Computing Services
[Rob,Bob,Boob,Robert,Bobert]    Simon Fraser University
userdbob@cc.sfu.ca  [Internet]  Burnaby, B.C. Canada
userdbob@sfu.bitnet [Bitnet]    V5A 1S6

rob@newsserver.sfu.ca (Rob Carpenter) (03/01/91)

In <3370013@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com> plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) writes:

>/ rob@newsserver.sfu.ca (Rob Carpenter) / 10:53 am  Feb 23, 1991 /

>$ This would probably be the most desirable.
>$

>Er ... you mean MORE DESIRABLE ??  :-). No offence, but seems to me
>the most desirable so far should SCSI or other similar interface.

>Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
>E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,

I believe that if you go back to the original message you will find that
the person said that they did not want to purchase additional hardware.

A SCSI controller would be additional hardware, needed for EACH
machine that he wished to backup.