[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Yet another Sound Blaster question

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (02/26/91)

Looking thought a mail order catalog I saw that some places advertise
a Sound Blaster version 1.5.  What is the difference (if any) between
this version and other versions of SB.  Is the only difference the
absense of CM/S chips on v 1.5? And if so, can those chips later be
added to v 1.5?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
       "No clever quote available today."
                                      -Mike.

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (02/27/91)

From article <4858@czech.sw.mcc.com>, by daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman):
> Looking thought a mail order catalog I saw that some places advertise
> a Sound Blaster version 1.5.  What is the difference (if any) between
> this version and other versions of SB.  Is the only difference the
> absense of CM/S chips on v 1.5? And if so, can those chips later be
> added to v 1.5?

Yes, but v 1.5 also has the speech synthesizer with variable
tone (to make it sound more human, instead of computer-like).
The CMS can be had for $20 from Creative Labs.

doug@fryeten.uucp (02/28/91)

In article <4858@czech.sw.mcc.com>, daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman)
writes:

> Looking thought a mail order catalog I saw that some places advertise
> a Sound Blaster version 1.5.  What is the difference (if any) between
> this version and other versions of SB.  Is the only difference the
> absense of CM/S chips on v 1.5? And if so, can those chips later be
> added to v 1.5?

--------------------------------------------------------------------- >

I talked to the manufacturer of soundblaster and they said there is no
difference in either hardware or firmware for the two versions 1.0 and 1.5
except that 1.5 has no cm/s chips.  They said you can purchase cm/s chips to
upgrade the version 1.5 package (I forget what exact price was so I won't state
it) but the chips are on back order right now.  Also, I believe they said that
1.0 does not come with one of the software packages that 1.5 comes with (I
apologize for  forgeting which one it was - I think it was voice software) but
that you could upgrade the software as well.  In the final analysis if you want
to end up with the entire equivalent hardware and software package by
purchasing one initial package and upgrading either hardware or software,
depending on which version you start with, the initial purchase of 1.0 and
upgrade to the additional software (which you may not be interested in) is
definitely cheaper, at least at the list prices that they quoted me.  The
person I talked to was not technical but she seemed fairly confident of that
information.  One never really knows.  If anyone can confirm or fill in any
holes I might of left please do so.

Oh yeah, I know that this has already been said in other articles, but she also
confirmed that the optional midi box IS NOT Roland MP-401 compatible. Though I
am a little green in the subject, if midi is an important consideration then
buying this board would probably be a little like buying a beta format VCR.

 _______________  *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
|   _________   | | Doug White           |             Email              |
|  |  _______|  | | Frye Electronics,Inc.|        doug@fryeten.UUCP       |
|  | |_______   | | Tigard, OR           |                                |
|  |  _______|  | | Voice: 503 620 2722  |                                |
|  | |__________| | Fax:   503 639 0128  |                                |
|__|              *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (03/02/91)

In article <20.27cba111@fryeten.uucp> doug@fryeten.uucp writes:

>Oh yeah, I know that this has already been said in other articles, but she also
>confirmed that the optional midi box IS NOT Roland MP-401 compatible. Though I
>am a little green in the subject, if midi is an important consideration then
>buying this board would probably be a little like buying a beta format VCR.

So you're saying that, by buying the SoundBlaster for use with MIDI equipment,
you'd be getting a better, higher-quality product than the "industry standard"
product that the lemmings buy, and you'd pay less money for it, to boot? After
all, everyone knows that Beta has better picture quality, longer standard
recording time, and lower hardware prices than VHS.

Sounds like a good deal to me!

--
Scott Coleman                                                    tmkk@uiuc.edu

"Unisys has demonstrated the power of two. That's their stock price today."
       - Scott McNealy on the history of mergers in the computer industry.