[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Can IDE and RLL coexist?

readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) (03/01/91)

A company for which I do some contract programming has an extra Conner
80 MB IDE drive lying around, which they've offered to give me...I
currently have a 65 MB RLL drive running with Western Digital's RLL-
Floppy controller, so replacing it with the Conner drive is only a 15
MB gain...hardly worth the effort.

The question is this: is there any way for me to use *both* drives at
once?  I don't mind using bizarre device drivers to drive either
disk, so....how about it?  Does anyone know how to do it?

--
Dave Read                 | readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  | ...in large, friendly
UT-Austin Nuclear Physics | read@physics.utexas.edu    | letters, were the words

mattij@tuura.UUCP (Matti Joutkoski) (03/05/91)

readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) writes:

>A company for which I do some contract programming has an extra Conner
>80 MB IDE drive lying around, which they've offered to give me...I
>currently have a 65 MB RLL drive running with Western Digital's RLL-
>Floppy controller, so replacing it with the Conner drive is only a 15
>MB gain...hardly worth the effort.

>The question is this: is there any way for me to use *both* drives at
>once?  I don't mind using bizarre device drivers to drive either
>disk, so....how about it?  Does anyone know how to do it?

I would say NO, if you are not running operating system, which would
support 2 ST-506 controller (like xenix/386).

The problem is BIOS and IRQ/Address. BIOS can not handle 2 ST-506
controller (ATID HD is like 'ST-506 controller + ST-506 harddisk),
only 2 harddisk with a controller.

I/O addresses and IRQ is second problem. There are specified values
for SECOND and PRIMARY controllers, but it doesn't help, if we are
running MS-DOS.

Matti Joutkoski, mattij@yj.data.nokia.fi, tel. + 358-0-5673866.