[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] AT bus specs

clements@bbn.com (Bob Clements) (07/10/90)

A while ago (and every few months, I guess) the question came up
of what are the timing specs for the PC/AT bus.  The answer, as
always, was that there is no published spec for the timing,
though the signal line definitions are published in the AT
technical reference.

But someone said there is a pretty good book on the subject.  I
didn't jot down the info.  Would someone please repost or mail me
that info?  Title, author, publisher, ISBN...  Something along
the lines of "Interfacing to the IBM PC/AT".

Thanks,
Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (07/11/90)

IEEE spec P996 attempted to reduce the entropy of AT designs. The spec I have
is dated 4/28/87. The names on it are:

Mike Fung (408) 434-0600 (Chips & Technologies)
Scott Hopkinson (714) 662-5600 (Emulex)
Gary Lyons (415) 969-1777 (Nestar)

Forget timing specs - there aren't any.

mwilliam@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Mark Williams) (07/11/90)

The "Industry Standard Architecture" Bus is implicitly defined in:
	IBM PC/AT Hardware Technical Reference 6183355, March '86, IBM

The IEEE P996 "Personal Computer Bus Standard" is better:
	Contact Mike Fung, 408 434-0600 Chips and Technologies, Inc.
	Get the latest version -- mine is dated 14 May 1990.

An excellent new book on AT Bus Design is just out:
	AT Bus Design, Ed Solari (Intel), available from
		Annabooks,
		12145 Alta Carmel Ct.
		Suite 250-262
		San Diego, CA 92128
		800-462-1042

Caveat:  Not all IO cards or systems follow the rules, so you may still
 have to do compatibility testing.

Disclaimer:  These are my opinions only, etc.

sward@cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Steve Ward, CF) (07/24/90)

From article <58084@bbn.BBN.COM>, by clements@bbn.com (Bob Clements):
> A while ago (and every few months, I guess) the question came up
> of what are the timing specs for the PC/AT bus.  The answer, as
> always, was that there is no published spec for the timing, ...

Here it is:

Book:
-----
AT BUS DESIGN (IEEE P996 Compatible), by Edward Solari (member, P996
Committee) published by Annabooks, 1990, ISBN 0-929392-08-6
Annabooks tel. 800-462-1042, 619-271-9526
Annabooks, 12145 Alta Carmel Court, Suite 250, San Diego, CA 92128

This bus gives all timing and electrical info.  The book is quite good.
However, the orientation of the books is the implementation of the bus
on a traditional CPU platform motherboard.  This is okay, except that
no real attention is given to the other environment, the so-called
passive backplane system, though all needed technical information is
in the book for extrapolation to this environment, the exercise left
to the reader, by default.  The book is also very overpriced at $60.00,
but if you need the info right now...

I have heard rumors about other books of similar ilk coming out, but
for me these remain uncomfirmed apocryphal rumors.

Note that REAL SOON NOW, the IEEE will publish the P996 specification:

Personal Computer Bus Standard P996, IEEE (last I heard, this was
at draft 2.00 and essentially done with respect to the technical
details, leaving only some cleanup and administrative work to be
completed, but this may or may not be a true characterization.  Contact
the IEEE for draft standard copies, if this is even possible).

Also available, more or less:

ISA BUS Specifications and Applications Notes, Janauary 30, 1990,
Copyright 1989, Intel Corp.  --contact Intel for a copy of this Intel
document; they will probably give/sell you a copy.

Note that this book deals with the ISA bus and some extensions to it,
but gives a very light treatment to the EISA bus (32-bit bus).  The
ISA bus, with some extensions, is essentially the PC-AT bus, of which
the PC-XT bus is a subset, so this book deals thoroughly with the
standard (now it is, I guess) PC-XT/AT 8-bit and 16-bit busses, known
collectively as the ISA bus.

I do not know if the IEEE spec. goes beyond this, to cover the 32-bit
EISA bus, of which ISA is a proper subset.  For those who really want
the EISA info, contact COMPAQ, as they have published a technical guide:
Technical Reference Guide, Extended Industry Standard Architecture
Expansion Bus, Copyright Compaq Computer Corp, 1989.

-- Steven M. Ward   ward@cfa.harvard.edu

,

wk0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Stephen Kish) (02/22/91)

Hello...

     Does anyone have (or know where I can get) the hardware
specification for the AT bus?  This information would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Bill Kish
Carnegie Mellon University

wk0x+@andrew.cmu.edu
wk0x%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) (02/24/91)

In <8bl1HKy00WBNM2TmsV@andrew.cmu.edu> wk0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Stephen Kish) writes:

>     Does anyone have (or know where I can get) the hardware
>specification for the AT bus?  This information would be greatly
>appreciated. Thanks.

Technical Reference
Personal Computer AT

Order #6280070 from IBM

rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb23.212206.6904@contact.uucp> guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) writes:
>In <8bl1HKy00WBNM2TmsV@andrew.cmu.edu> wk0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Stephen Kish) writes:
>>     Does anyone have (or know where I can get) the hardware
>>specification for the AT bus?  This information would be greatly
>>appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Technical Reference
>Personal Computer AT
>
>Order #6280070 from IBM

The IBM Technical Reference Manual most definitely does NOT contain the
hardware specification for the AT BUS.  It does contain pin outs, but by
no means does it contain a hardware description or timing diagrams.
I would hate to see the requestor shell out $100.00 for this document
only to find out that it isn't what he asked for.

The following is a message that I typed in many months ago.  I kept it
as a file to merge into other messages...just like this one.

In a recent posting, I saw a request for the ISA BUS timing specs.  At the
time, I couldn't find anything, but here is the information for a book
regarding the ISA BUS and its timing specs.

"AT BUS DESIGN" by Ed Solari.

Annabooks
12145 Alta Carmel Ct., #250
San Diego, CA  92128
(800) 462-1042

$69.95 + S&H

--
"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ...!sun!altos86!rcollins

dwsmall@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (03/05/91)

> The IBM Technical Reference Manual most definitely does NOT contain the
> hardware specification for the AT BUS.  It does contain pin outs, but by
> no means does it contain a hardware description or timing diagrams.
> I would hate to see the requestor shell out $100.00 for this document
> only to find out that it isn't what he asked for.
>
> In a recent posting, I saw a request for the ISA BUS timing specs.  At the
> time, I couldn't find anything, but here is the information for a book
> regarding the ISA BUS and its timing specs.
>
> Annabooks
> 12145 Alta Carmel Ct., #250
> San Diego, CA  92128
> (800) 462-1042
>
> $69.95 + S&H

but does this contain the pin outs that the IBM manual does?
I'm trying to build a 16 bit ADC card for AT or better class machines
to interface physcis experiments.  I would like to use the 16 bit
resolution of the AT bus but everything I'm finding is with respect to
the 8 bit slot only.  I've built these things for Apples before but
never for IBM's does anyone know of a good text that would include
everthing you need (for the 16 bit slot).  I found a couple books
that deal with the subject and an 8-bit card.

                             Any and all help will be apreciated

Derek Small