[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Pinout for DIN, PS/2 keyboard cables?

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (03/01/91)

I want to plug a standard IBM AT keyboard into a computer that has a
PS/2-type keyboard jack (it's a Goldstar 386SuX :-)

I found a mail-order house that sells an adapter that does the job,
but they are back-ordered for a while. In the meantime, I have some
DIN jacks lying around, and I wonder if I could just solder some
short wires onto the leads of a DIN jack and carefully poke them
into the correct holes in the PS/2-type keyboard jack. (I'd secure
the whole jerry-rig in a very professional manner using that wonder
of the 20th century, duct tape. Who can have a life without duct
tape?)

Anyway, with five or six pins on the DIN plug (haven't checked lately)
and even more on the PS/2 jack, the number of combinations is more than
I want to search exhaustively. So...does anyone out there have the pinouts
for these respective keyboard cables? I don't have the IBM hardware guides,
which is presumably where I would find this info. (?)

I appreciate any references, pointers, suggestions to go to hell, etc.,
that anyone can offer.

Thank you, and good night.

--
Dan Mocsny
Internet: dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu

n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) (03/05/91)

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:

>I want to plug a standard IBM AT keyboard into a computer that has a
>PS/2-type keyboard jack (it's a Goldstar 386SuX :-)

>I found a mail-order house that sells an adapter that does the job,
>but they are back-ordered for a while. In the meantime, I have some
>DIN jacks lying around, and I wonder if I could just solder some
>short wires onto the leads of a DIN jack and carefully poke them
>into the correct holes in the PS/2-type keyboard jack. (I'd secure
>the whole jerry-rig in a very professional manner using that wonder
>of the 20th century, duct tape. Who can have a life without duct
>tape?)

Just buy one.  It's an awful lot easier.  I got mine from JDR microdevices
in California.

Kris.

--
Kriston M. Bruland          |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .
n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu |    .   .     . .        .        . .       .   .