[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] paradise vga boards

ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) (02/25/91)

I'm trying to understand the differences amongst the different Paradise
VGA boards.  In the adds I noticed several models that claim to support
1024x768.

Paradise OEM	- usually less than 100 dollars.  How can this be so cheap
		 when the other Paradise boards are much more?  What features
		is this board missing.

Paradise 1024	- usually ~250 or less with 512 K RAM
Paradise professional	- The add claims this supports non-interlaced operation
		at 1024x768.  Is this the same board as the 1024?
Ken Roser - WA2VCI - mtgzy!ker - AT&T Bell Laboratories - 908-957-5822

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb24.202558.12663@cbnewsj.att.com> ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes:
>I'm trying to understand the differences amongst the different Paradise
>VGA boards.  In the adds I noticed several models that claim to support
>1024x768.
>
>Paradise OEM	- usually less than 100 dollars.  How can this be so cheap
>		 when the other Paradise boards are much more?  What features
>		is this board missing.

What's missing is the Paradise brand name. These usually are Taiwanese
no-name products that happen to use the Paradise VGA chipset. They usually
are close copies of the real thing, but do NOT use the Paradise firmware
(VGA BIOS).

>Paradise 1024	- usually ~250 or less with 512 K RAM

1024x768 maximum resolution

>Paradise professional	- The add claims this supports non-interlaced operation

800x600 maximum resolution

--
l\  /l '     _    Mike Schuster          ...!cmcl2!panix!schuster
l \/ l l l/ (_    NY Public Access       CIS:70346,1745

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (03/06/91)

ker@cbnewsj.att.com (kenneth.roser) writes:

>What about compatibility with drivers for Paradise.  Will the Paradise drivers
>work with the OEM board?  Is the OEM firmware as good?

>By the way, will the Paradise OEM boards support 800x600x16 with Windows?
>Will the Paradise 1024 support the same?
*----
I'd say your chances are pretty good.  I was disappointed that my supposedly-
hardware-compatible Paradise VGA doesn't do very well with WD's "vgachall"
program.  Conversely, the board works fine with every program I've used,
and does fine in 800*600*16 mode in windows.  I use standard drivers right
from the WD BBS.

On the other hand, don't buy the board from United Computer Resources in
Philadelphia, which has refused to handle warranty problems.  The extra
memory they sold me with the board was bad, and I've got nothing but a
runaround from them.  Maybe I can cost them a sale or two in return.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois