[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Upgrading from 286 to 386

snowden@sequoia.cray.com (Jim Snowden) (03/05/91)

I am considering upgrading from a 286 12 Mhz clone to a 386 SX or 386.
I would like to know any advantages/disadvantages people have found
in using either a plug in 386/SX board or in replacing the motherboard
(eg which bits of the old 286 should work OK with the new board).

This sound to me like a frequently asked question; if so, please could you
direct me to the appropriate place to find the answer!

Thanks,

Jim Snowden                 snowden@sequoia.cray.com
Cray Research (uk) Ltd, Oldbury, Bracknell, ENGLAND, RG12 4BY

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (03/05/91)

In article <111212.19450@timbuk.cray.com> snowden@sequoia.cray.com (Jim Snowden) writes:
>I am considering upgrading from a 286 12 Mhz clone to a 386 SX or 386.
>I would like to know any advantages/disadvantages people have found
>in using either a plug in 386/SX board or in replacing the motherboard
>(eg which bits of the old 286 should work OK with the new board).
>
>Jim Snowden                 snowden@sequoia.cray.com

As you probably know, you have two options:  a new motherboard, or a plug
in card.  306sx motherboards cost $300-350, and plug in modules cost about the
same (or a little more).  Therefore, a new motherboard is cheaper, especally
when you consider that you can sell the old one.  A new motherboard also has
the potential for better performance (actual milage may vary).

In general, everything that you used with the 286 can be used with the 386 with
the exception of a match co-processor and RAM.  Ages ago, 386 motherboards had
sockets for a 287 FPU but they have largely disappeared.  The RAM on the
386 motherboards are faster than what is used on the 286 and cannot be used.
If you have an EMS board, you would be better off selling it and buying new
RAM for the 386-- it can handle RAM better than the EMS board, and faster too.

I highly reccomend at least 2 meg of RAM for a 386(sx), and 4 meg is
preferable.  When you have the power of a 386 it is too easy to use up one meg
when running Windows or Desqview...  :)

					- David K

--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

akcs.gregc@vpnet.chi.il.us (*Greg*) (03/06/91)

If you want ease of use and a slow 386, put in the card.  You will receive
enough degridation to despence with this ider..

Replace the Mothaboard and your a screamin demon.  :)
____
\GC/  Greg Clawson
 \/   Chicago IL. - The heart of America