[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ET4000 speed

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (03/01/91)

Could someone with an ET4000 (e.g., Orchid ProDesigner II) and the
vidspeed benchmark (or something which measures transfer speed, like
Manifest), please send me a run of the benchmark?

I am beginning to believe I should be getting better thruput than the
2200k bps I'm seeing right now...

-scott

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (03/05/91)

In article <1142@applix.com>, scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) writes:
%% Could someone with an ET4000 (e.g., Orchid ProDesigner II) and the
%% vidspeed benchmark (or something which measures transfer speed, like
%% Manifest), please send me a run of the benchmark?
%%
%% I am beginning to believe I should be getting better thruput than the
%% 2200k bps I'm seeing right now...

With the Landmark, I get 2.943 Mb/s on my Trident 8900. I run my
bus at 11 MHz.  On 8.33 MHz, I used to get 2.1-2.2 Mb/s. Also, when
I have put the card into 8 bits bus mode, the speed was about 1.45
Mb/s (I think the bus was already at 11 MHz).

I also tried to setup the jumpers to say I only have 256 Kb of RAM.
Normally, I have four 4256-80 chips which give me 512 Kb, and four
sockets are free. As I expected, the speed was 200-300 Kb/s lower.
The card must use a 16-bit internal data path when at least 4 RAM
chips are present (4 x 4 bits/chip) and multiplexes external 16
bits data accesses into 8 bits accesses when only 2 RAM chips are
there.

During that process, from time to time the 8900 must need additional
time, so it asks the bus for supplemental wait-states. That is why
the speed is slightly slower with an internal 8 bit data path.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

feemster@mozart.amd.com (Ryan Feemster) (03/06/91)

I recently purchased an ET4000 VGA card with 1MByte memory and the
Tseng chip set.  When I ran the diagnostic program which came with
the card, it produced several 'read' error messages when I ran the
card at a 12MHz AT bus speed.  The errors continued at bus speeds of
10MHz and 8MHz.  At 6MHz , the card seemed to pass all the diagnostics.
I called the store where I purchased the card and was told it was
probably the diagnostic program at fault and that they would send me
another copy.  QUESTIONS TO THE NET:  1) does anyone have any experience
running an ET4000 card at high bus speeds, and 2) do any other 1MByte VGA
cards run at bus speeds of 12MHz or higher?

Thanks for your support,
Ryan Feemster (feemster@mozart.amd.com)
Communications Product Division
Advanced Micro Devices, Austin, TX
.

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.002412.18822@dvorak.amd.com> feemster@mozart.amd.com (Ryan Feemster) writes:
>... QUESTIONS TO THE NET:  1) does anyone have any experience
>running an ET4000 card at high bus speeds, and 2) do any other 1MByte VGA
>cards run at bus speeds of 12MHz or higher?

Sounds like your dealer is stalling.  The diagnostic program, and not the
card, is faulty??  Right...

The OrchidProDesigner II (ET4000 based) is specifically spec'ed to run
at 8, 10, and 12MHz bus speeds.  I'm sure there are others.  I'm running
one at 12 right now.  No problems, but there's a jumper which needed to be
yanked to eliminate a minor glitch.

I'd be quite surprised if there are any ET4000s that run *faster* than 12...

-scott