[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Format a MFM w/ RLL card?

NU158739@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Shaun Wetzstein) (03/06/91)

I have a Microlis 1335 (71-Meg MFM) HD and I want to get a RLL/ ERLcard.
Is this drive capable of being formatted w/ a RLL card?

A "mail-order-tech" claimed any MFM drive can be formatted to RLL but it
might by unstable -- if the drive even works at all.

Shaun Wetzstei -- NU158739@NDSUVM1.BITNET

keithe@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/08/91)

In article <91064.144907NU158739@NDSUVM1.BITNET> NU158739@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Shaun Wetzstein) writes:
>I have a Microlis 1335 (71-Meg MFM) HD and I want to get a RLL/ ERLcard.
>Is this drive capable of being formatted w/ a RLL card?

I'd be tempted to at least give it a try.  Micropolis are pretty
good drives.  I wouldn't RLL a Seagate (or *own* one, for that
matter) on a bet!

>A "mail-order-tech" claimed any MFM drive can be formatted to RLL but it
>might by unstable -- if the drive even works at all.

Disks that don't "take" to RLL formatting can be somewhat difficult
to recognize and/or diagnose.

The symptom is, for lack of a better phrase, Alzheimer's Disease of
the Disk Drive: it remembers things "for a while" but seems to
forget things, losing more and more as time goes by...

null *keithe()