[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] PS/2 Model 30 upgradable? ISA/MCA? Slots? -- Info needed

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (03/04/91)

I need some info on the PS/2 Model 30.  A friend has one but the
machine is about 1400 miles away so I can't go look to get some simple
information.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Is it a 80286-based machine?
ISA or MCA (or no) slots?
Can an external hard disk be added to existing controller(s) or is a
new HD controller card required?

The friend has a Model 30 bought about 4 years ago, with two floppy
drives and now wants to upgrade it to a hard disk version.  If you've
done this or know how I would be very grateful.

thanks in advance,

dan davison
davison@uh.edu, davison@uhnix1.UUCP, DAVISON@UHOU (BITNET)
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU
myself.

cjkuo@locus.com (Chengi Jimmy Kuo) (03/04/91)

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:

>I need some info on the PS/2 Model 30.  A friend has one but the
>machine is about 1400 miles away so I can't go look to get some simple
>information.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Make sure it is a model 30 vs. a model 30-286.  Since you say he's had it
for 4 yrs, it's likely a model 30.  Answers below are for a model 30 and
NOT a 30-286.

>Is it a 80286-based machine?
	NO.
>ISA or MCA (or no) slots?
	3 non-microchannel slots.
>Can an external hard disk be added to existing controller(s) or is a
>new HD controller card required?
	Sorry, can't remember.

>The friend has a Model 30 bought about 4 years ago, with two floppy
>drives and now wants to upgrade it to a hard disk version.  If you've
>done this or know how I would be very grateful.

You can surely get an internal drive and transform it since a model 30-021
(20Meg HD) exists.

>thanks in advance,

>dan davison

Jimmy Kuo
--
cjkuo@locus.com
"The correct answer to an either/or question is both!"

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/05/91)

>I need some info on the PS/2 Model 30.  A friend has one but the
>machine is about 1400 miles away so I can't go look to get some simple
>information.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

>Is it a 80286-based machine?
>ISA or MCA (or no) slots?
>Can an external hard disk be added to existing controller(s) or is a
>new HD controller card required?

>The friend has a Model 30 bought about 4 years ago, with two floppy
>drives and now wants to upgrade it to a hard disk version.  If you've
>done this or know how I would be very grateful.

The PS/2 Model 30 (not the 30-286) is an 8086-based
machine, and has the old XT 8 bit bus. I suppose you
could fit an 8 bit MFM or RLL controller ion one of
its three slots, but getting a drive into the case
might be a problem. I think the IBM-supplied drives
had an edge connector that slides into a receptacle
at the back of the drive bay, and the controller
may very well be built in. This would lock you into
buying an IBM drive ($$$). You'd also have to give
up one of the floppies. I don't have any model 30s
to disassemble any more (hhehehehehe) so I can't
tell you for certain.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (03/05/91)

Another choice for the PS/2 M30 and M25 in terms of hard disks is to
use a plus hardcard.  They come in 20 and 40 meg sizes, the last I saw
was $500 for 40 meg.  It is expensive but it only takes one slot and
does stay within the power requirements of these two machines.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar3.183031.14311@menudo.uh.edu> davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
>I need some info on the PS/2 Model 30.  A friend has one but the
>
>Is it a 80286-based machine?

The original PS/2 Model 30 is NOT a 286 machine (I vaguely remember it is a
10MHz 8086 machine, any corrections?). However, the Model 30-286 is a 286
based machine.

>ISA or MCA (or no) slots?

It has three or so 16 bits ISA slots (again, the slot count is from, not too
reliable, memory). The slots are shorter than a "true" AT slot and, I think,
is slightly lower as well.

>Can an external hard disk be added to existing controller(s) or is a
>new HD controller card required?

I don't think you can add external harddisk but I think there is a
port for external 5.25" floppies.

>The friend has a Model 30 bought about 4 years ago, with two floppy
>drives and now wants to upgrade it to a hard disk version.  If you've
>done this or know how I would be very grateful.

From what I remember (that was over 2 years ago), the harddisk goes
staight into a connector on the drive bay (no wire). I think you
may be able to add a third party controller/harddisk combo, however
you may have problems mounting the drive internally though. Did you
look at harddrive cards?

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Mike Loving) (03/08/91)

>In article <1991Mar3.183031.14311@menudo.uh.edu> davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:

>Can an external hard disk be added to existing controller(s) or is a
>new HD controller card required?

You can add a harddrive or a hard card.  My friend with a model 30 put in a
hardcard which works dandy.  If you want to go the drive route, call Harddrives
international and tell 'em your setup -- I think that the built in interface is
IDE, but don't take my word for it.  also there are 3 slots in a model 30

Mike Loving