[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Voice Mail on the PC???

pgt@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Paul G. Tobin) (03/08/91)

	Has anyone bought a Voice Mail card for their PC yet?  I'd
like to find out who manufactures cards that do Voice Mail,
telebroadcasting, and telemarketing (receiving inbound calls and
taking names, etc).  I've only seen references to the "Complete" card
in mail-order ads, but don't who manufactures it so I can't contact
the company for their literature.  I've been digging around in PC
rags, but haven't found any recent articles on the subject.

	As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

		Paul Tobin
		pgt@hpfcla.fc.hp.com

sean@apexepa.UUCP (Sean Donovan) (03/09/91)

In article <15660005@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> pgt@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Paul G. Tobin) writes:
>	Has anyone bought a Voice Mail card for their PC yet?  I'd
>like to find out who manufactures cards that do Voice Mail,
>telebroadcasting, and telemarketing (receiving inbound calls and
>taking names, etc).

I have worked with two manufacturers: Dialogic and Rhetorex.

The Rhetorex line card comes in two and four port(lines) varities. It
is based on a digital signal processor. The card functions through
downloadable software to carry out board functions. This means you can
upgrade to higher functionality by installing a new device driver,
instead of replacing the card. The quality of the sound recording is
excellent. You can specify frequency and sample size for a recording.
The support software is minimal and the programmers manual is
passable. Last price I recall for the 4 port version is $995.00

Dialogic is the kingpin in the Voice Mail at the PC level industry.
Their base product is the D40/D41 line of voice processing cards. They
start at about $1200.00 for the basic 4 port version and go up. They
also provide a wider array of support hardware to extend you voice
processing system. They provide the basic C library the same as
Rhetorex to interface to the device driver. Although I have read about
other support software for this line of boards, I haven't actually
used any.

The software interface to both boards is more or less equivilent. My
personal preference is to Rhetorex. The card itself has high hardware
functionality. The sound quality is better, it is extensible
through software upgrades, and the service I received from the people
at Rhetorex was much better (i.e. They shipped what I needed on time
and got it right the first time/ unfortunately this was not the case
with Dialogic). Tech support for each was equally bad however.  If it
was a simple questions they could answer it. If not, I was on my own.

>Paul Tobin pgt@hpfcla.fc.hp.com

Sean Donovan uunet!apexepa!sean