[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] KEYBOARD problem

awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew J. White) (03/04/91)

I have an intermittent problem with my keyboard when I physically
turn my computer on.  About half the time everything is fine, but
the other half the time the keyboard does not work.  I get a keyboard
error, the num/caps/scroll lock lights blink very rapidly, and my
PC makes the same noise as when the keyboard type-ahead buffer is
full and you keep pressing keys.

I have tried another keyboard and experienced no problems; I conclude
the problem is my keyboard.  It is a fairly new Mitsumi 101-key enhanced
keyboard.  Anyone know what causes this and how I might fix it, short
of replacing the keyboard?

Leaving my computer on until its fixed....

 Andrew J. White    | U. of Pennsylvania    | awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
 Comp. Science 1993 | School of Engineering | whiteaj@clutx.clarkson.edu

jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) (03/04/91)

In article <38652@netnews.upenn.edu> awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew J. White) writes:
>I have an intermittent problem with my keyboard when I physically
>turn my computer on.  About half the time everything is fine, but
>the other half the time the keyboard does not work.  I get a keyboard
>error, the num/caps/scroll lock lights blink very rapidly, and my
>PC makes the same noise as when the keyboard type-ahead buffer is
>full and you keep pressing keys.
>
>I have tried another keyboard and experienced no problems; I conclude
>the problem is my keyboard.  It is a fairly new Mitsumi 101-key enhanced
>keyboard.  Anyone know what causes this and how I might fix it, short
>of replacing the keyboard?

	It is possible that your new keyboard is coming out of reset too
soon for your system on powerup.  In this condition, the keyboard handshaking
that occurs when you apply power to the system does not complete.  Where
the keyboard initiates the handshake before the keyboard controller on the
motherboard is ready to negotiate.  The keyboard gives up the ghost while the
controller on the motherboard begins listening for the handshake that will
never happen.  I've had this problem with a couple of system/keyboard combos.
Generally what I do is to put a larger cap in the reset generation circuitry
for the keyboard's controller.  This holds the keyboard in reset longer when
power is applied, and things are happy.  Note that I do this in the keyboard
itself, I don't recommend you muck with the motherboard too much.  But then
again, you may not be comfortable with the concept of hacking in your
keyboard either.

	Oddly enough, you can see if this is the problem by disconnecting the
keyboard from the system prior to powering it up.  Once the system is going,
plug the keyboard in, and it should work.  Again, this is not the greatest
thing to do since it is theoretically possible to ping something by plugging
peripherals in while the system is powered up.  I've had no problem doing
this, but I'd rather you made the call....

	I'd try calling for some tech support on the keyboard first.  If that
goes nowhere, and you really like the keyboard and want to fix it...mail me
and I can help you out if you need it.

		Good luck

--
Terry Jones   				{rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!jones
SUNY at Buffalo ECE Dept.		  or: rutgers!ub!jones

You are in a maze of twisty little compiler features, all different.

cjkuo@locus.com (Chengi Jimmy Kuo) (03/05/91)

awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew J. White) writes:

>I have an intermittent problem with my keyboard when I physically
>turn my computer on.  About half the time everything is fine, but
>the other half the time the keyboard does not work.  I get a keyboard
>error, the num/caps/scroll lock lights blink very rapidly, and my
>PC makes the same noise as when the keyboard type-ahead buffer is
>full and you keep pressing keys.
>
>I have tried another keyboard and experienced no problems; I conclude
>the problem is my keyboard.  It is a fairly new Mitsumi 101-key enhanced
>keyboard.  Anyone know what causes this and how I might fix it, short
>of replacing the keyboard?

>Leaving my computer on until its fixed....

>--
> Andrew J. White    | U. of Pennsylvania    | awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
> Comp. Science 1993 | School of Engineering | whiteaj@clutx.clarkson.edu

I would venture a guess that there's a short somewhere in your keyboard.

Though not fixing the problem, one way you may get beyond it whenever you
encounter this is to hit the space bar (or any key) which may force
whichever key is stuck to stop its typamatic.

You might try procedures to dislodge dirt or grime by tapping the edge of
the keyboard lightly on a table or some similar surface.  (Start very
lightly.  Not recommended if this keyboard is under warrantee.)

I think ultimately, you'll be replacing this keyboard so perhaps, just
start with that assumption and go back to the store.

Jimmy Kuo
--
cjkuo@locus.com
"The correct answer to an either/or question is both!"

cxw3455@isc.rit.edu (C.X. Woodward ) (03/09/91)

>awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew J. White) writes:
>I have an intermittent problem with my keyboard when I physically
>turn my computer on.  About half the time everything is fine, but
>the other half the time the keyboard does not work.  I get a keyboard
>error, the num/caps/scroll lock lights blink very rapidly, and my
>PC makes the same noise as when the keyboard type-ahead buffer is
>full and you keep pressing keys.

I'm not sure what type of computer you are running on, but if it's an AT (clone)
I might have your answer.  It seem that the 101-keyboards have to be detected
by the AT as such or they have symptoms (sp?) very close to the ones you
described.  My keyboard has a switch on the under side.  Your keyboard may have
a manual or 'automatic' switch thats flakey. (if it gets bumped it goes off...)

--
"...But what is truth, is truth unchanging law?  * CxW3455@ultb.isc.rit.edu *
We both have truths, are mine the same as yours?"*  Computer Science House  *