[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Prairie 120 hard disk

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (03/07/91)

A clone-brand laptop I'm considering buying has a Prairie 120 2" hard
disk.  This worries me a bit, as I've never heard of Prairie, and the
disk specs, as published in the machine's spec sheet and confirmed
with Coretest, are very unusual: 23 ms average seek (rather quick,
especially for a laptop of this class, namely el-cheapo), but 85
Kb/sec data transfer rate (very very slow).

So: does anybody know anythng about Prairie, and more particularly
about this disk?

Thanks,

--richard

mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) (03/07/91)

*Note* in the spirit of full and fair disclosure, I am a friend of
one of the VC types who funded Prairie Tech.

	=Mike

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (03/09/91)

In article <21828@yunexus.YorkU.CA>, rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
> A clone-brand laptop I'm considering buying has a Prairie 120 2" hard
> disk...
>
> So: does anybody know anythng about Prairie, and more particularly
> about this disk?

5 or more years ago a company sold 'Prairie Pack' batteries in nylon
carrying bags, sized something like a short cigarette carton.
These may have powered regular PCs and Apples... hazy memory.
I have asked about them several times, in recent years, to no avail.