[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA "Wavy" picture problem.

bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) (03/08/91)

My monitor image is "wavy".  This problem is getting worse lately.

I have Gateway VGA monitor (Samsung??) with an ATI VGA Wonder Plus card.

The waving goes away after the monitor has been on for awhile.  The
wavyness used to go away after just a few minutes, but lately it's
been lasting up to 30 minutes.

Is this a monitor problem or a VGA card problem?  What can I do to
fix this? (warranty is expired...naturally..)

Comments?

   Lee Bollard                     unix:  bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               HPDesk:  Lee BOLLARD / HP1000/53
   Spokane Division          Compuserve:  72105,423
   (509)921-4608         * Opinions are my own, not my employer's *

dconway@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Dan Conway) (03/12/91)

bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) writes:
> My monitor image is "wavy".  This problem is getting worse lately.
>
> I have Gateway VGA monitor (Samsung??) with an ATI VGA Wonder Plus card.
>
> The waving goes away after the monitor has been on for awhile.  The
> wavyness used to go away after just a few minutes, but lately it's
> been lasting up to 30 minutes.
>
> Is this a monitor problem or a VGA card problem?  What can I do to
> fix this? (warranty is expired...naturally..)
>
> Comments?

This probably isn't it, since it doesn't explain the time dependency, but is
there any chance that you have a source of electromagnetic radiation near the
monitor?  I had a waviness with my HP VGA card and monitor just after I
purchased it.  It was due to a small electric clock about 2 feet from the
monitor.  I didn't figure it out for some time due to the distance involved.

Dan Conway
dconway@hpldsla.sid.hp.com

kenw@col.hp.com (Ken Wyatt) (03/13/91)

Do you have a full (rectangular) raster?  Or is it squeezed in around any
of the edges?  This could indicate a bad power supply in the monitor.
If it is squeezed in AND wavy, this could indicate a bad filter capacitor
in the power supply.  Also, check around the vicinity for other sources
of low frequency magnetic fields (motors, other monitors, soldering irons).
If the monitor is changing colors during the waviness, it could mean your
built-in degaussing coil is activating for too long a time period.  These
are designed to activate for only a brief time during power-on.

|  Ken Wyatt                    |         HPDesk:  Ken Wyatt / HP0800   |
|  Product Regulations Mngr     |           UNIX:  kenw@hpcol.hp.com    |
|  HP/Colorado Springs Div.     |            FAX:  (719) 590-7679       |
|  PO Box 2197                  |     Compuserve:  75665,1727           |
|  Colorado Springs, CO 80901   |  Amateur Radio:  WA6TTY               |
|  Phone:  719-590-2852         |                                       |