[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] DTK computers

laughner@composer.helios.nd.edu (Tom Laughner) (03/09/91)

We are currently testing DTK's PCs (386SX, 386, and 486).  I'm
interested in anyone's experiences.  How long have you been using
them?  What kinds of benchmarks (if any) have you come up with?
Are you using them on a network?  If so, which one?  Did you have
any trouble getting it up and running?  How about maintenance?
Are they reliable?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Tom Laughner
Consultant/Analyst
University of Notre Dame

Frank_Murray@mindlink.UUCP (Frank Murray) (03/09/91)

> laughner@composer.helios.nd.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1991Mar8.212631.3398@news.nd.edu>
>
> Org.  : University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame
> Person: Tom Laughner
>
> We are currently testing DTK's PCs (386SX, 386, and 486).  I'm
> interested in anyone's experiences.  How long have you been using
> them?  What kinds of benchmarks (if any) have you come up with?
> Are you using them on a network?  If so, which one?  Did you have
> any trouble getting it up and running?  How about maintenance?
> Are they reliable?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Tom Laughner
> Consultant/Analyst
> University of Notre Dame

I have been using a DTK Keen 2000 (386DX, 20 MHz) for over one year with no
problems.  I have added the following equipment with no problems:

Cardinal 2400 BPs Modem
Maxtor 80 meg IDE HD
DTK 32 BIT Ram expansion card populated with 8 Megs
Logitech Scanman Plus (Board and Scanner)

All testing programs (ie) Checkit, QAPlus, indicate that my CPU runs slightly
faster than 20 MHz.

A Satisfied DTK Computer User.

Frank Murray
--
Frank Murray   |   a523@MindLink.UUCP
Vancouver, BC  |

siebeck@infoac.rmi.de (Wolfgang Siebeck ) (03/11/91)

laughner@composer.helios.nd.edu writes:

> Msg-ID: <1991Mar8.212631.3398@news.nd.edu>
>
> Org.  : University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame
> Person: Tom Laughner
>
> We are currently testing DTK's PCs (386SX, 386, and 486).

I had the PEMM 2500 (I think), 386, 25MHz, 64k Cache in use.

> How long have you been using them?

For about 6 months (see further down).

> Are you using them on a network?  If so, which one?

SUN PC-NFS, no problems, most of the drivers loaded high.

> Did you have any trouble getting it up and running?

Troublefree installation, very good performance. BUT:

I had endless hazzle trying to run a ISDN-adapter. It run well under MSDOS,
but NOT UNDER UNIX. The problem seems to be, that the board cannot use
word-I/O on the port, e.g. something like OUTW. I swapped the board for a
OPTI-25, and no more trouble.

I guess, DTK will be ok under DOS, but of limited use under UNIX. Let me
repeat: The problem were only using one special add-on board, otherwise
I liked DTK very much.

> Are they reliable?

The board was running 6 months without switching power off. No problem.

--
siebeck@infoac.rmi.de (Wolfgang Siebeck)

u9hx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar8.212631.3398@news.nd.edu>,
laughner@composer.helios.nd.edu (Tom Laughner) writes:
> We are currently testing DTK's PCs (386SX, 386, and 486).  I'm
> interested in anyone's experiences.  How long have you been using
> them?  What kinds of benchmarks (if any) have you come up with?
> Are you using them on a network?  If so, which one?  Did you have
> any trouble getting it up and running?  How about maintenance?
> Are they reliable?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Tom Laughner
> Consultant/Analyst
> University of Notre Dame

I own a DTK Keen 33mhz 386.  I can't seem to send to your address.  If you
want to reach me, try sending to u9hx@cornella.cit.cornell.edu  via Internet
or bitnet

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.103429.1354@infoac.rmi.de> siebeck@infoac.rmi.de (Wolfgang Siebeck ) writes:
>laughner@composer.helios.nd.edu writes:
>I had the PEMM 2500 (I think), 386, 25MHz, 64k Cache in use.

Me Too! :)

>For about 6 months (see further down).

About 1.5 years.

>I had endless hazzle trying to run a ISDN-adapter. It run well under MSDOS,
>but NOT UNDER UNIX. The problem seems to be, that the board cannot use
>word-I/O on the port, e.g. something like OUTW. I swapped the board for a
>OPTI-25, and no more trouble.
>
>I guess, DTK will be ok under DOS, but of limited use under UNIX. Let me
>repeat: The problem were only using one special add-on board, otherwise
>I liked DTK very much.

Hmmm  sounds like a problem with the ISDN/UNIX interface-- although I have to
admit that I have not tried to run ISDN anywhere.

I have been running ESIX (System V 3.2) since last June without any hitch
whatsoever.  It is now configured with an IIT 387 compatable, WD8003 Eithernet
card, Adaptec RLL controller, ATI VGA Wonder, and 12 meg of RAM.  I also run
two serial ports at 38400 baud without a hitch (using 16550 UARTS).

>> Are they reliable?
>
>The board was running 6 months without switching power off. No problem.

Same here, but for 1.5 years.

I also like DTK very much-- but I have been into computers long enough to
decipher their badly translated Tiwaneese.  I always laugh about thier
error message, "Parity Error But Segment Dosent Found."  (I've been working
with DTK's long ehough to cause my share of these.)

>siebeck@infoac.rmi.de (Wolfgang Siebeck)

				- David K
--
David Kessner - david@kessner.denver.co.us            | do {
1135 Fairfax, Denver CO  80220  (303) 377-1801 (p.m.) |    . . .

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (03/13/91)

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:
>I also like DTK very much-- but I have been into computers long enough to
>decipher their badly translated Tiwaneese.  I always laugh about thier
>error message, "Parity Error But Segment Dosent Found."  (I've been working
>with DTK's long ehough to cause my share of these.)

I'm intrigued by your phrase "...cause my share of these" wrt the
error message -- does the message indicate a real parity error was
encountered, or is there some other condition that can cause it to
display?  I saw this error often when running my plain-jane Win3 &
SmartDrive installation in 386Enh mode on a DTK 386DX-20 w/ 5Megs.
Power-up ram test thinks all 5 megs are ok, tho I doubt the power-up
test is very thorough.  I deleted SmartDrive & haven't seen it since.

Would appreciate your posting any info you might have...Thanks.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.151726.4816@javelin.es.com> bgeer%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>david@kessner.denver.co.us (David Kessner) writes:
>>I also like DTK very much-- but I have been into computers long enough to
>>decipher their badly translated Tiwaneese.  I always laugh about thier
>>error message, "Parity Error But Segment Dosent Found."  (I've been working
>>with DTK's long ehough to cause my share of these.)
>
>I'm intrigued by your phrase "...cause my share of these" wrt the
>error message -- does the message indicate a real parity error was
>encountered, or is there some other condition that can cause it to
>display?  I saw this error often when running my plain-jane Win3 &
>SmartDrive installation in 386Enh mode on a DTK 386DX-20 w/ 5Megs.
>Power-up ram test thinks all 5 megs are ok, tho I doubt the power-up
>test is very thorough.  I deleted SmartDrive & haven't seen it since.
>
>Would appreciate your posting any info you might have...Thanks.
>--
><> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>

Well, two things here:

I have caused my share of parity errors buy inserting a RAM chips in wrong,
and various other things... (If you play with enough computers you do these
sort of things from time to time.)

Also, the 32-bit ram board used in the DTK 306/20 has had a "revision" done
to it quite a long time ago (a year or more, I think).  You can tell, because
the model is ???-301, rather than ???-300 (I forgot the letters).  The bug
in the old board would cause problems when running some 386 software.  When
intalling Novell Netware 386, you'd have to keep the thing in "non-turbo"
mode until it was finished "booting" then you could hit afterburner.  When
the newer ram board was installed, all worked fine.

Also, I have found many other instances where if the memory on a computer is
borderline, running 386 software will push it over.  A system that may run
MS-DOS fine will FAIL when DesqView/QEMM, Windows(enhanced), Netware 386, etc.
Often, this is a better test of a system than other diagnostic programs.
This is true of any system, not just DTK's.

I also assume that you are using 80ns RAM chips in your DTK 386/20?

					- David K