[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] DS/DD --> DS/HD 3.5" Disk Notchers

u9hx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/12/91)

Does anyone own one of those disk notchers that punches a hole so that you can
format a 720k disk into a high density disk?  If so, does it really work?  How
reliable is such device?

I have heard stories on both sides, and am trying to decide if I should invest
in one myself.  Thanks

sguerke@brahms.udel.edu (Stephen Guerke) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar11.182336.3274@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> u9hx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Does anyone own one of those disk notchers that punches a hole so that you can
>format a 720k disk into a high density disk?  If so, does it really work?  How
>reliable is such device?
>
>I have heard stories on both sides, and am trying to decide if I should invest
>in one myself.  Thanks

IMHO you're taking a chance.  The media on a HD diskette is much
much more dense than that on a 720K diskette.  It is my understanding
that at the factory(s) the diskettes are tested for density and those
that pass are marked HD and those that don't are marked DD.  I
wouldn't trust MY data to such a diskette.  One of the faculty members
that I support, who used DD density diskettes formatted HD for backing
up data, had data on one of the diskettes just sorta fade away, he has
since invested in HD diskettes and transferred his surviving data.

py@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar11.182336.3274@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> u9hx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Does anyone own one of those disk notchers that punches a hole so that you can
>format a 720k disk into a high density disk?  If so, does it really work?  How
>reliable is such device?
>
>I have heard stories on both sides, and am trying to decide if I should invest
>in one myself.  Thanks

A friend of mine actually drill the small hole which indicates a HD diskette,
he has one of those cheapo "drill press" which convert your power drill
into a mini drill press.

He uses a lot of them regularly and never seems to have any problem with the
converted HD diskettes.  BTW, he is using the diskettets on an Apple IIfx.

--
Peter Yeung     Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
                2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

klingler@triton.unm.edu (David Klingler) (03/14/91)

I've been using very generic 720k disks (from MEI at $0.39) at 1.44 for
about 9 months now.  No problems so far, but it may be to early to tell.
Needless to say I have backups on 5.25 1.2m diskettes.  BTW, I bypasses
the notcher method and installed a switch on the back of my computer that
switches pin 2 on the floppy drive High or Low (sort of like bypassing
the notch sensing switch).