[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] IBM AT and ST251 drive

erich@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Horst) (03/16/91)

I bought an IBM AT used and it came with an ST-251 drive installed.
(6 head,820 cyl, 17 sect, 42MB capacity).  It has previously been in
service and had TWO partitions and TWO 20Mb logical drives.  I wanted
to start fresh so I repartitioned it, etc, but now everything says that
the drive has 6 heads, 615 cyls, 17 sect and only 32Mb capacity (bios
type 3).  I have physically verified on the drive that the larger size
is correct.

Obviously a bios type problem, but there is no drive that matches.
I have never had to install a new drive like this before and need to know
how this can be made to work.  It obviously worked before but I am stumped.

I have tried as many things as I can think of.  I could use the 10Mb.
Can anyone give me a hint?

Thanks,

Eric Horst
University of Washington
erich@cac.washington.edu

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (03/17/91)

erich@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Horst) writes:

> I bought an IBM AT used and it came with an ST-251 drive installed.
> (6 head,820 cyl, 17 sect, 42MB capacity).  It has previously been in
> service and had TWO partitions and TWO 20Mb logical drives.  I wanted
> to start fresh so I repartitioned it, etc, but now everything says that
> the drive has 6 heads, 615 cyls, 17 sect and only 32Mb capacity (bios
> type 3).  I have physically verified on the drive that the larger size
> is correct.
>
> Obviously a bios type problem, but there is no drive that matches.
> I have never had to install a new drive like this before and need to know
> how this can be made to work.  It obviously worked before but I am stumped.
>

> I have tried as many things as I can think of.  I could use the 10Mb.
> Can anyone give me a hint?

  What controller are you using?  Do you have access to a custom
formatting utility such as SPEEDSTOR (well worth the modest price,
IMHO)?

   Dave McCrady                 |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
+1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  Disclaimer? Who needs a disclaimer?
+1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  I >own< the joint.