[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] "Sector not found" What the hell does this error mean?

readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) (03/18/91)

I suddenly picked up a weird gremlin today: I keep getting these
"Sector not found" errors...sometimes a "retry" makes it go away,
sometimes it doesn't.

What is the source of this error, and how do I make it go away?
The drive is a Seagate ST-277R, less than a year old.  The Controller
is a Western Digital RLL hard/floppy unit...

Thanks for any ideas!

--
Dave Read                 | readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  | ...in large, friendly
UT-Austin Nuclear Physics | read@physics.utexas.edu    | letters, were the words

rkl@cbnewsh.att.com (kevin.laux) (03/18/91)

In article <45723@ut-emx.uucp>, readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) writes:
> I suddenly picked up a weird gremlin today: I keep getting these
> "Sector not found" errors...sometimes a "retry" makes it go away,
> sometimes it doesn't.
>
> What is the source of this error, and how do I make it go away?
> The drive is a Seagate ST-277R, less than a year old.  The Controller
> is a Western Digital RLL hard/floppy unit...

	First, back up the entire hard disk.  You should do a low level
format and then DOS's format.  The problem is that the heads drift a bit
over time and use.  When you read/write files from the disk, they are
located by read the sector id's.  The sector id's never get re-written
after the formatting is done.  It is entirely possible to write a new
file, then try to read it and get the Sector Not Found error message.
Also, if you change the orientation of the drive (to/from horizontal/vertical),
you should reformat the disk in its new orientation.  To maintain your
hard disk and refresh your sector id's, get a hard disk maintenance program
such as Spinrite or Disk Technician and run it on a regular basis.

	R. Kevin Laux				Email: rkl1@hound.att.com
	AT&T Bell Labs				Voice: (908) 949-1160
	Holmdel, NJ 07733			Fax:   (908) 949-0959

mpd@anomaly.SBS.COM (Michael P. Deignan) (03/19/91)

readdm@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David M. Read) writes:

>What is the source of this error

A bad disk.

>, and how do I make it go away?

Get a new hard disk (not a Seagate...)

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      /
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            / "The Mother Of All Battles"