[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Western Digital 1006V-SR2 questions

opr_fowler@mcis2.enet.dec.com (John Fowler) (03/19/91)

I have some questions about the WD1006V-SR2 disk controller that the
installation manual doesn't address and tech support is unreachable...

I'm using a 286 clone, '86 AMI BIOS, Above Board Memery Expansion card,
AT I/O card (1p,2s), game card (2g), EGA monitor card, and one hard
drive which is a Maxtor 2190 (1224cyl x 15 heads no wrtprecomp).
NOTE: I know the XT2190 is designed for 17 SPT (MFM) but will it does
work using 26 SPT (RLL) so I'm told and have been able to prove.

I'm having two problems...

1st. When performing a low-level format using the hard prep program which
came on the WD1006 drive controller it stops at cyl #200 or so and just
returns to the main menu. I have the drive user defined (type #1) as
1224cyl, 15heads, 0 writeprecomp which is what the drive should handle.

2nd. I did manage to use type #9  (1024 x 15 no precomp) to complete the
low level format and partition/high lvl format the drive using DOS but
I then noticed it would not load the system from drive C: apon a power
up/cold boot. It would however work fine using CTRL-ALT-DEL/warm boot.
If I inserted a DOS floppy to load DOS, then CTRL-ALT-DEL for a warm
boot, the C: drive would work fine.

I seemed to ignore drive C: apon a cold startup for some reason. The only
thing I could think was my dated (86) BIOS was causing problems with the
drive as type #1 (ST225 in its mind) it may be trying to read the drive
as a ST225 before the WD card has anything to say to the differ.

When performing warm boots the entire system worked fine including the
floppies, expanded memory, mouse, etc. BUT I was only using 1024 out of
1224 cylinders and only getting 204meg as opposed to 244meg.

Well, any others questions please just ask away. I'm stumped for sure.
FYI: I am in the process of upgrading my BIOS this week.

Thanks,
John

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/20/91)

opr_fowler@mcis2.enet.dec.com (John Fowler) writes:
>1st. When performing a low-level format using the hard prep program which
>came on the WD1006 drive controller it stops at cyl #200 or so and just
>returns to the main menu. I have the drive user defined (type #1) as
>1224cyl, 15heads, 0 writeprecomp which is what the drive should handle.

The IBM Classic AT's hard disk controller only allocated 10 bits for
the cylinder number.

>2nd. I did manage to use type #9  (1024 x 15 no precomp) to complete the
>low level format and partition/high lvl format the drive using DOS but
>I then noticed it would not load the system from drive C: apon a power
>up/cold boot. It would however work fine using CTRL-ALT-DEL/warm boot.
>If I inserted a DOS floppy to load DOS, then CTRL-ALT-DEL for a warm
>boot, the C: drive would work fine.

One issue might be if your EMS is 16-bits. If the page frame is
in segment D000, you've got to make it 8-bit. Try taking out
the EMS and cold booting. If that works, either move your page
frame or make the EMS 8-bit. Yes, I know that sucks. IBM did it.

Do you have any other add-ins?

--
The Macintosh makes it easy to do sloppy work.