[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] The Case of the Phantom 80287...

cjl@uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) (03/19/91)

I have two 8Mhz AT 'clones' that both have a strange problem.
Both have had '287s in them from the beginning (3-4 years), but
recently Norton's SI and a few programs can't detect the coprocessor.
It passes the 87test on wuarchive, runs autosketch, QB87, etc but
won't run a commercial program from Data Translation (compiled in
God knows what) with an error (FP not installed).  CMOS shows
"coprocessor installed".  I have switched from PCDOS3.1 to 3.3 in
the last six months and added a JDR-MCT secondary floppy controller
with 1.44MB bios add-on - could either one of those changes have screwed
up the INT2 handling?  I know, I know.. pull them out, boot up with 3.1
and see.  BTW, the board was from Golden State Computers and "packaged"
by the now defunct Computer Components Corp out of RTP, NC.

Hints?  Anyone heard of a coprocessor that worked fine but couldn't
be detected by some programs?  Obviously different folks look for it
in different ways...
--
 *  Charles Lord               ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl  Usenet (old) *
 *  Cary, NC                   cjl@ecsvax.UUCP            Usenet (new) *

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.165314.5994@uncecs.edu> cjl@uncecs.edu (Charles J. Lord) writes:

> I have two 8Mhz AT 'clones' that both have a strange problem.
> Both have had '287s in them from the beginning (3-4 years), but
> recently Norton's SI and a few programs can't detect the coprocessor.
> It passes the 87test on wuarchive, runs autosketch, QB87, etc but
> won't run a commercial program from Data Translation (compiled in
> God knows what) with an error (FP not installed).  CMOS shows
> "coprocessor installed".  I have switched from PCDOS3.1 to 3.3 in
> the last six months and added a JDR-MCT secondary floppy controller
> with 1.44MB bios add-on - could either one of those changes have screwed
> up the INT2 handling?

It may be possible that the equipment byte 14 in the CMOS data area is set
incorrectly.  One of the bits tell if a math-co is present or not and some
programs look here.  I have seen this happen on a few systems that had a
Phoenix BIOS.  Also located in that byte is the number of floppies installed,
so the addition of the floppy cont. MAY have changed both bits.

Equipment Byte 14H

Bit 7 - bit 6	Indicates the # of diskette drives installed:

		00 1 drive
		01 2 drives
		10 reserved
		11 reserved

Bit 5 - bit 4	Primary display

		00 EGA/VGA
		01 40 column
		10 80 column
		11 Mono

Bit 3 - bit 2	Not used

Bit 1		Math-co presence bit:

		0 math-co not installed
		1 math-co installed

Bit 0		Diskette drive presence bit:

		0 diskette drive not installed
		1 diskette drive installed

Hope this helps.
Disclaimer: I don't speak for my company or myself.

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com