[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] How does one low level format a RLL drive on an AT?

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (03/19/91)

I have a st238 rll drive with a controller I moved from my xt to my
new at motherboard.  How do I low-level format it?  Thanks!!

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (03/20/91)

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) writes:
>I have a st238 rll drive with a controller I moved from my xt to my
>new at motherboard.  How do I low-level format it?  Thanks!!

On my OMTI controller board there is a jumper to address its bios
segment to either C800:0000 or D800:0000.  To low-level format, I
start DEBUG & type the command "g D800:5", which starts execution at
location 5 of the bios.  This starts the low-level format routine.  I
think location 5 is pretty much standard.  When I jumped to the wrong
segment address, I merely had to re-boot -- no other damage done.

--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>