[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Can I Low Level Format my MFM drive with 17 < SECTORS < 26 ?

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (03/15/91)

	I know that MFM normally uses 17 Sectors/Track and RLL uses
26 Sectors/Track. But is there a fundamental reason I cannot low
level format my MFM drive to 20 Sectors/Track, say, in an attempt
to increase drive capacity? Does the MFM controller FORCE the
use of 17 S/T and the RLL controller 26 S/T or might they do whatever
they are told by the Low Level Formatter program?

Thanks.

Bob Davis, UofALA alum \\ INTERNET: sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER: K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE: (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX: (407) 729-3363 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (03/16/91)

In article <5832@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:

>	I know that MFM normally uses 17 Sectors/Track and RLL uses
>26 Sectors/Track. But is there a fundamental reason I cannot low
>level format my MFM drive to 20 Sectors/Track, say, in an attempt
>to increase drive capacity? Does the MFM controller FORCE the
>use of 17 S/T and the RLL controller 26 S/T or might they do whatever
>they are told by the Low Level Formatter program?

Without going into the technical details, the answer to your first question is
yes.  Given the fixed RPM of your drive, the MFM encoding technique, and the
speed at which the drive firmware writes to the disk, there is room for only
17 sectors/track.  If you try to write an 18th sector on a track, you risk
having part of the 18th sector overwrite part of the 1st sector.

If you slowed the RPM of the drive down, and you told the controller to write
more than 17 sectors per track, you would be able to write more sectors on a
single track; but the hardware might have trouble reading what your wrote,
especially on the innermost tracks.
Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar16.022315.28142@digi.lonestar.org> kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) writes:
>In article <5832@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
>>
>>	I know that MFM normally uses 17 Sectors/Track and RLL uses
>>26 Sectors/Track. But is there a fundamental reason I cannot low
>>level format my MFM drive to 20 Sectors/Track, say, in an attempt
>>to increase drive capacity? Does the MFM controller FORCE the
>>use of 17 S/T and the RLL controller 26 S/T or might they do whatever
>>they are told by the Low Level Formatter program?
>
>Without going into the technical details, the answer to your first question is
>yes.  Given the fixed RPM of your drive, the MFM encoding technique, and the
>speed at which the drive firmware writes to the disk, there is room for only
>17 sectors/track.  If you try to write an 18th sector on a track, you risk
>having part of the 18th sector overwrite part of the 1st sector.

	But I can take an MFM drive and RLL it to 26 sectors/track and there
is no problem with getting done with all 26 tracks in one revolution of
the platter.
Seems to me that the disk formatting routines in the BIOS must always know
how fast to write sector-definition info to the disk in order to complete
the specified number of sectors in exactly one revolution of the fixed
speed disk. Don't the BIOS routines do that?

	Some Low Level Formatting programs (such as Western Digital's WDFMT
program) allow the user to simply enter Cylinders, Heads, Sectors, and
all that other stuff and then it goes away and does its thing. Do such
programs do the right thing if you tell it to low level your MFM drive
using 18 sectors instead of 17?

	It simply occurs to me that MFM drives are designed to normally carry
a data density that corresponds to 17 sectors, but that some of the drives
are probably better than others and the platters might be of high enough
quality to carry 18 sectors, some 19, some even higher.

	My question is: Do the MFM controllers enforce the 17 sector choice
or might I use higher values? Do RLL controllers enforce the 26 sector choice?

	I realize that, even if possible, the choice of higher numbers would
stress the capability of the platters and that generally data would be at
a higher risk. Generally. In specific cases with better than average
drives, things might be OK...Just as some drives will RLL and some wont.

	I guess I will play with this on a drive soon and see what happens.

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (03/19/91)

In article <5855@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
> [...]
>or might I use higher values? Do RLL controllers enforce the 26 sector choice?
>
>	I realize that, even if possible, the choice of higher numbers would
>stress the capability of the platters and that generally data would be at
>a higher risk. Generally. In specific cases with better than average
>drives, things might be OK...Just as some drives will RLL and some wont.
>
>	I guess I will play with this on a drive soon and see what happens.
>

>_____________________________________________________________________________
>Bob Davis, UofALA alum \\ INTERNET: sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
>Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
>Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER: K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
>PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE: (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |

You could try reading what Kevin wrote. There is a BIG difference between an RLL
controller and an MFM controller. BOTH will work on the same disk (some of the time
anyway, depending on the quality of drive and the head positioning mechanism - voice
coil will generally work both ways, stepper motor will give you problems). Basically
what the controller does is establishes what fraction of a revolution is considered a
sector. In the case of an MFM controller thats 1/17 th of a revolution (actually a little
less, but thats not important here) when reading/writing a sector, the controller
tells the r/w heads to get in position and read/write for a specific period of time.
that period of time is determined by the number of sectors per cylinder and the platter
rpm. An MFM is designed for 17 sectors, an RLL designed for 26. If you use the low
level formatting program that is installed in BIOS on some controllers, you find you
don't have a choice of how many sectors per cylinder. The only reason that the LL
formating programs you can buy (Ontrack's Disk Manager, Western Digital's WDFMT, etc)
have the option of specifying sectors per track is to distinguish what kind of controller
you have installed (MFM = 17, RLL = 26 or 27, ESDI = 34). The sector option is NOT there
so that you can arbitrarily specify whatever value you want. If you could get more
storage out of a disk that way, don't you think that there would be several software
products on the market to do just that? At best, your controller will be smart enough
to ignore what you tell it and format the disk the way it SHOULD be formatted. At worst
you'll muck up your controller AND your disk to a point that neither is usable.

If you want to get more space out of your MFM disk try using an RLL controller, but ONLY
if: 1) the disk has a voice coil head actuator mechanism, 2) the disk has a thin film
(sputtered-platted) media, NOT the standard oxide-coated media, 3) use short cables with
gold plated connectors.

Basically if its a high quality drive by CDC (Imprimis), Maxtor, Priam, Micropolis,
or Mitsubishi you stand a fairly good chance of reliably increasing your drives capacity
by ~50%. If your drive is the average inexpensive Seagate drive, don't bother...

You can generally tell if your drive has a stepper motor or voice coil actuator by the
number of heads, and the auto park feature...voice coil will generally have an odd
number of r/w heads and have poweroff auto-parking heads, stepper motors will generally
have an even number of heads and not have poweroff auto-parking...auto-parking requires
additional circuitry on the stepper motor models, but not on the voice coil models...

John Burton
G & A Technical Software
(gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov)

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (03/20/91)

In article <5855@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
>	But I can take an MFM drive and RLL it to 26 sectors/track and there
>is no problem with getting done with all 26 tracks in one revolution of
>the platter.

That's because MFM encoding of a sector takes up more time and space
than RLL encoding.  The platters in the drive spin at the same speed
regardless of how you format the drive.  The nature of RLL encoding
places greater demands upon the drive hardware.  However, it turns out
that the quality of a large number of drives manufactured and sold as
MFM drives are of the quality that then can reliably read and write
RLL encoded data.  The specs needed to reliably read RLL encoded data
are somewhat more demanding than those needed to read MFM encoded
data.

There are plenty of similar examples in the floppy disk world.  In the
early days of the Apple II computer, the first Apple drives had 13
sectors per track.  Later on, Apple realized that the drive could
reliably read data written to disk with a more economical encoding
scheme which would permit 16 sectors per track.  All then needed to do
was modify the controller to deal with the new encoding.

IBM first came out with floppies with 8 sectors per track and later
upgraded to 9 sectors per track on 5.25 inch drives.

And so on.  Thus, unless you slow down the fixed speed of the drive,
there is not enough room on a track to fit more than 17 MFM sectors
per track.  But slowing down the speed of the drive runs the risk that
the hardware will not be able to read what you write, especially on
the shorter length inside tracks.
Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075

gp310ad@prism.gatech.EDU (ROBERT DUCKWORTH) (03/20/91)

Just to add some wood to the fire. The 17 sector/track assumes 512 byte
sectors. If you make them smaller, you can have more. For instance, I
have ESDI drives with 128 byte sectors. Can't get 4 times as many as the 512 byte, but it's close.
;-)
Bob

--
Bob Duckworth                            -everything you know is wrong-
Earth & Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, 30332

norcott@databs.enet.dec.com (Bill Norcott) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.185406.29567@digi.lonestar.org>, kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) writes...
>In article <5855@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:
>>	But I can take an MFM drive and RLL it to 26 sectors/track and there
>>is no problem with getting done with all 26 tracks in one revolution of
>>the platter.

Why dont you sell the MFM and get a SCSI drive with maybe 32-50 sectors per
track!  (or ESDI).  This will *really* increase your throughput and the cost
may be less than you think.  I have been seeing the 105MB Quantums for less
than $350 mail order.

Bill Norcott

martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (03/20/91)

In article <5832@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:

>	I know that MFM normally uses 17 Sectors/Track and RLL uses
>26 Sectors/Track. But is there a fundamental reason I cannot low
>level format my MFM drive to 20 Sectors/Track, say, in an attempt
>to increase drive capacity? Does the MFM controller FORCE the
>use of 17 S/T and the RLL controller 26 S/T or might they do whatever
>they are told by the Low Level Formatter program?

I have in the past formatted a Maxtor XT1085, which is a 17 sector/track
MFM hard disk, to 18 sectors/track. I tried more but the low-level format
failed at higher than 18 settings.

It'll work, but chances are very high that your harddisk controller BIOS
can't handle anything but 17 sectors/track. That typically means that the
track buffer only holds 17 sectors worth of data. For a 1:1 interleave
that means one revolution to read one track. If you increase the drive
capacity to 18 sectors per track you'll read 17 + 1, i.e. an extra
revolution is needed to read a single track. Ergo, your read times increase
almost two-fold.

Of course, at 18 or more sec/track, you mau experience media failure soon...

	...Martin

Martin J. Schedlbauer	| martin@saturn.UUCP	| ...!ulowell!saturn!martin
8 Gilman Road		| mschedlb@ulowell.edu	| ...!uunet!wang!saturn!martin
Billerica, MA 01862 USA	| CIS: 76675, 3364	| /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

wjb@cogsci (03/21/91)

[Lots of people talk about why you can/can't format more then 17 sectors with
an MFM controller, 26 with RLL etc.]

My answer is: I don't think so.

	One thing which might help, is to remember that the controller clocks
the data signal to the drive at a fixed rate (at least during formatting)
based on a crystal on the board.  This means that depending on the clock
rate of the crystal and the RPM of the drive, there are just so many bits
(magnetic flux changes) that can be written by that controller on a single
track.  Some of those bits are used by headers, trailers, and error
correction codes.  You might be able to increase the capacity of your system
by increasing the clock rate.  This would require that the rest of the
electronics on the controller and the drive could handle the faster state
changes.  I've been told that some drives have lowpass filters which would
actually filter out any signals which changed at a faster rate then that for
which they are designed.  If it did work, you could then try format the
drive with more sectors.

	Another interesting note is that each flux? time does not actually
store a data bit.  Bits are encoded and actually take up more then one flux
time.  I think the big difference between MFM and RLL is that the encoding
scheme is more efficient (i.e. has a smaller expansion ratio).  I think this
expansion is used by the hardware to help recover the clocking/phase of the
data signal when the data is being read back from the drive.  This allows for
small variations in the RPM of the drive not to affect the ability of the
controller to reread the data.  Perstor(?) sells controllers which store
even more data then MFM or RLL controllers on the same drives.  Does anybody
know what methods they use to increase capacity?  Is it just better encoding
or do they actually increase the rate of magnetic flux change?

				Bill Bogstad

P.S.  All of the above is by an intelligent laymen.  I think the general
theory is correct, but some of it is probably wrong.  Hopefully a real EE or
CE will correct me.  I became a programmer a long time ago. :-)

sigma@jec302.its.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (03/21/91)

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) writes:
>IBM first came out with floppies with 8 sectors per track and later
>upgraded to 9 sectors per track on 5.25 inch drives.

Just to nitpick, that modification was made by DOS 2.0 with NO HARDWARE
CHANGES.  You could format 180K on single-sided 5.25" disks - the original
drives that came with IBM-PCs.  The difference was that DOS 2.0 installed a
different drive parameter block, specifying smaller gaps between sectors
(and improved timing parameters, too) and other technical details.

Such an approach isn't available with hard drives, however - the hardware
definitely handles the high-speed data encoding needed.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@rpi.edu

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar19.135057.2372@news.larc.nasa.gov> jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) writes:
>In article <5855@trantor.harris-atd.com> sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) writes:

	[DELETIONS]

>You could try reading what Kevin wrote. There is a BIG difference between an RLL
>controller and an MFM controller. BOTH will work on the same disk (some of the time

	SIR: I *did* read what he wrote. Of course there is a big difference

between MFM and RLL. But he did not say whether or not

the controllers enforced the 17 sector value for MFM and the 26 for RLL.

And there is absolutely no reason why anyone MUST assume, a priori, that

MFM forces 17 sectors, or that RLL forces 26. One LEARNS that.

	[DELETIONS]

>							If you could get more
>storage out of a disk that way, don't you think that there would be several software
>products on the market to do just that?

	I make it an ABSOLUTELY INFLEXIBLE RULE NEVER TO *ASSUME* THAT AN

"OBVIOUS" THING HAS ALREADY BEEN THOUGHT OF -- ALWAYS.

	Don't you?

>If you want to get more space out of your MFM disk try using an RLL controller, but ONLY
>if: 1) the disk has a voice coil head actuator mechanism, 2) the disk has a thin film
>(sputtered-platted) media, NOT the standard oxide-coated media, 3) use short cables with
>gold plated connectors.
>
>Basically if its a high quality drive by CDC (Imprimis), Maxtor, Priam, Micropolis,
>or Mitsubishi you stand a fairly good chance of reliably increasing your drives capacity
>by ~50%. If your drive is the average inexpensive Seagate drive, don't bother...

	YES. GENERALLY. But as with all GENERAL assertions, there are

exceptions, and I am not averse to taking the exceptions if they present

themselves. For example, I have had a CHEAP Miniscribe 3425 MFM 20 Meg hard

drive in FLAWLESS 32 Meg RLL service for TWO years now.

>John Burton
>G & A Technical Software
>(gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov)

	Bob Davis