[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Memory Questions on a Tandy

wombat@nmt.edu (Lily-Rose) (03/20/91)

Okay, another stupid question.  I am working on a Tandy 1000 that
claims to have 640K of memory.  However, when I try to run my
application (which requires 640K), I am told it doesn't have
enough memory.  When I run Norton's System Info, it tells me
that I have 112K in DOS and "other memory resident programs"
(which I cannot locate nor disable) and 464K available.  This
totals 576K, which ain't 640K.  Elsewhere in SI, however, I am
told that I have 640K of active memory.

HELP!  If I can get this conundrum solved, I can start doing
something useful that will make me some $$$$.  If I can't,
everyone loses.

Thanks.
Lily-Rose
wombat@jupiter.nmt.edu

DISCLAIMER:   This is Not Chris Conway, |   Philosophy is useless,
this is Lily-Rose using his login.      |   Theology is worse.
wombat@jupiter.nmt.edu                  |    -- Dire Straits

davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.143739.4549@nmt.edu> wombat@nmt.edu (Lily-Rose) writes:
>Okay, another stupid question.  I am working on a Tandy 1000 that
>claims to have 640K of memory.  However, when I try to run my
>application (which requires 640K), I am told it doesn't have
>enough memory.  When I run Norton's System Info, it tells me
>that I have 112K in DOS and "other memory resident programs"
>(which I cannot locate nor disable) and 464K available.  This
>totals 576K, which ain't 640K.  Elsewhere in SI, however, I am
>told that I have 640K of active memory.

While I can't explain the 'missing' memory, the 464K available is just
about what you get when you run DOS 4.01 in 'Memory Hog' mode (i think
Microsoft uses a different name for it). According to the DOS manual this
speeds things up and still leaves plenty of room for your applications :-).

If you are running 4.01 you may want to re-install it in slow-poke mode,
that should give you another 100k to play with. It's impossible using
MS DOS to give your application 640K since DOS will always take up some
room. The bad news is that the only way that I know of to change modes
is to re-install from the original DOS disks (can you say "Backup your
system first"?). Maybe someone else knows a better way?

dave@kbvan.com (Dave Van Allen) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.143739.4549@nmt.edu> wombat@nmt.edu (Lily-Rose) writes:
>Okay, another stupid question.  I am working on a Tandy 1000 that
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^(good question)
>claims to have 640K of memory.  However, when I try to run my
>application (which requires 640K), I am told it doesn't have
>enough memory.  When I run Norton's System Info, it tells me
>that I have 112K in DOS and "other memory resident programs"
>(which I cannot locate nor disable) and 464K available.  This
>totals 576K, which ain't 640K.  Elsewhere in SI, however, I am
>told that I have 640K of active memory.

On the 1000's, right through to the TL/2 Tandy steals video memory
from the lower 640K.  This is why you see a math problem. All is
OK.  If this is a an TL or SL you can get a 128K video memory kit
for about 50 bucks that will give you back some of the stolen lower
memory.  (Why they did that, I'll never know)

   Dave Van Allen

| Lehigh Software Systems --- (Medical Industry Software and Hardware)       |
| Van Allen and Associates -- (anything for a buck enterprises)              |
| Dave Van Allen - dave@kbvan.com    =internet    ------------------------   |
|                  uunet!kbvan!dave  =uucp       |  This SPACE for SALE   |  |
|                  CIS 73530,2463    =CompuServe  ------------------------   |
| "You'll never go forward unless you have something to look forward to"     |