[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] fastest 287?

stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) (03/18/91)

I've decided to put together the 80287 Socket Rocket described in the April
1991 issue of ComputerCraft Magazine.  This will be done purely for its
experimental value.  To that end, I need to know a couple of things about
80287 floating-point processesors.

First, I would like to use the most efficient 287 out there.  There are
three major contenders for the project (that I know of):

Intel 80287 XL  ($185)
IIT   2c87-20   ($190)
AMD   80287     ($100)

Have these three chips been benchmarked against each other at the same
clock speed to determine which is the fastest?  I remember a BYTE article
showing that the AMD chip is slower than the Intel chip, but I don't recall
hearing anything about the IIT.

Second, I would like to use the chip which can be safely driven at the
highest possible clock speed.  Adding a heat sink is no problem, and I am
planning on doing that anyway.  Could any of these chips run at 33MHz?
25MHz?  If not, how fast?

If a less-efficient chip (like the AMD) could run at a higher clock speed
than a more-efficient chip (like the 287XL), then I would probably go with
the higher clock speed, if it would yield a greater overall floating-point
throughput.

Perhaps a better question: how do these things fail if the clock speed is
too high?  If they tend to catch fire, that would tend to discourage high-
speed experimentation :-)

All suggestions, hints, info, and questions are welcome.  You can post
replies or send email; either would be fine.  Thanks.

Steve Wootton
stevew@ecn.purdue.edu
stevew@pur-ee.uucp
stevew%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm.bitnet

Virgilio.Vincenzo@p13.f602.n332.z2.fidonet.org (Virgilio Vincenzo) (03/21/91)

I have had the experience with a 80287 intel and an 80c287 by IIT.
At the same speed of 10 Mhz, the IIT is 28% faster.
But i haven't had experience with a 20 Mhz Math Coprocessor.

God Bless Ye.
Xiao Vinc.

--
 WolfNet BBS Pisa (Italy) Tel. +39-50-589050 300-14.4K Baud Matrix 2:332/602.0
 Virgilio Vincenzo - via FidoNet node 2:332/602

rfutscher@pbs.org (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar17.222637.4437@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, stevew@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Steven L Wootton) writes:

> I've decided to put together the 80287 Socket Rocket described in the April
> 1991 issue of ComputerCraft Magazine.  This will be done purely for its
> experimental value.  To that end, I need to know a couple of things about
> 80287 floating-point processesors.
>
> First, I would like to use the most efficient 287 out there.  There are
> three major contenders for the project (that I know of):
>
> Intel 80287 XL  ($185)
> IIT   2c87-20   ($190)
> AMD   80287     ($100)

 MUCH DELEATED

I have a IIT 10 mhz 287. It is running from a 32 mhz clock that is
devided by three for 10 mhz. Because of the devide by three the duty
cycle is not 50-50. When I run the tests on it, it fails the modes that
that were added by IIT. I think they are matrix functions. The boxes
that are drawn on the screen lack x values. As if zero is returned as
answers. The boxes are just a series of verital lines centered on the screen.
No smoke, no flames.

  Robert Futscher  rfutscher@pbs.org