[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Installing a 386SX into an AT Motherboad????

santol@cbnewsc.att.com (shawn.r.antol) (03/23/91)

Recently I had read somewhere that it was possible to install an
80386SX cpu into an AT style motherboard and virtually have a low
end SX machine.  Is this possible?  What are the caveats?

Shawn Antol
AT&T Bell Labortories
Naperville, Il.
Work: 708-979-5622
email: santol@ihlpb.att.com

My hardware is:
    10M Hz  80286  Hyundai
     1M     RAM
    90Meg   1:1 Interleave Hard disk

ccastms@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael Todd Smith) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.182606.549@cbnewsc.att.com>, santol@cbnewsc.att.com (shawn.r.antol) writes:
> Recently I had read somewhere that it was possible to install an
> 80386SX cpu into an AT style motherboard and virtually have a low
> end SX machine.  Is this possible?  What are the caveats?
>
> My hardware is:
>     10M Hz  80286  Hyundai
>      1M     RAM
>     90Meg   1:1 Interleave Hard disk

The only way possible to install a 386sx into an AT ( 286) system is in  an
expansion slot thru some kind cpu expansion board.

	Reasons why the 386sx and 286 aren't interchangable:

- 	They are not the same size. The 386sx has 100 pins ( See Intel
	Microprocessor and Peripheral Handbook Volume I page 4-355) and
	the 286 has 68 pins ( See page 3-2 ).

-	The clock would not provide the type of performance you would
	probably be looking for in an upgrade.

Most CPU expansion boards will have a clock on board(16 MHz, I have not heard of
any 20 MHz models yet), but I think it would be a lot less hassle to just buy a new 386sx motherboard and stick it in your AT case.  I think you will be a lot
happier a year or so down the road if you ever wanted to sell it and upgrade
again.
--
Michael Smith	    Internet: ccastms@prism.gatech.edu

Georgia Tech User Assitance        |   "Are you celebrating the tenth     |
Office of Information Technology   |    anniversary of Ethernet?"         |