[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Original IBM AT ... upgrade potential?

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (03/22/91)

My wife's job offered her one of the original (6Mhz, 512k) IBM AT's for her
use, but unfortunately (she would like to run win3) she needs more
horsepower/memory :-( ... I vaguely remember older threads talking about the
difficulties of upgrading (especially memory) this particular beast ... does
anybody know what some of these limitations are?

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Where there is darkness, light) (03/23/91)

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:

>My wife's job offered her one of the original (6Mhz, 512k) IBM AT's for her
>use, but unfortunately (she would like to run win3) she needs more
>horsepower/memory :-( ... I vaguely remember older threads talking about the
>difficulties of upgrading (especially memory) this particular beast ... does
>anybody know what some of these limitations are?

I looked into this once too, and found that it's not economically sensible.

What you'll have to to is buy an expanded or extended memory board, then
buy chips to go in it.  You're looking at about $500 to get a good board
with a reasonable amount of memory.  At this point you'll have a very slow
based on an 8 or 9 year old design, loaded up with memory, running
Windows, which isn't known for its blinding speed.

The same $500 can get you a new 386sx 16 bit motherboard, which could take
about 4 megs of extended ram directly, without buying additional boards.
Just rip out the AT's motherboard and put the new one in.  Many companies
sell these; I've seen at least two available for around $495, with 640k,
expandable to 4 megs.  You can still use most of the other stuff: cards,
drives, keyboard, mouse, monitor, power supply, case, etc...

You might end up spending a little more for a new motherboard and memory,
but it's a much better option in my opinion.

Kris.
--
Kriston M. Bruland          |    . .         . .      . . .      .       . .
n8541751@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu |    .   .     . .        .        . .       .   .