[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Hard Drive will not spin

loh@eceris.ece.ncsu.edu (Horng-Hai Loh) (03/23/91)

I have a Seagate ST-251 which used to work fine, now it developed a
problem that it will not spin when power up sometime.  Anyone had
the same problem?  Is there a solution for this kind problem?
Please E-mail to me or post if you prefer.  Thanks in advance.
I will post a summary if there is enough interest.

loh@eceris.ece.ncsu.edu

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.184911.13732@ncsu.edu> loh@eceris.ece.ncsu.edu writes:
>I have a Seagate ST-251 which used to work fine, now it developed a
>problem that it will not spin when power up sometime.  Anyone had
>the same problem?  Is there a solution for this kind problem?
>Please E-mail to me or post if you prefer.  Thanks in advance.
>I will post a summary if there is enough interest.

It's called "stiction" (static friction). The heads have become glued to the
media by excess/misplaced lubricant. This is a manufacturing defect that
Seagate had never officially owned up to.

If the drive is under a year old, replace it under warranty. The repair
cost for an older drive is probably not worth it.

If you're daring, remove the drive, hold it in your hand, and QUICKLY
twist it back and forth; the inertia will sometimes free the heads and
the drive will spin when powered up. If that works, recoonect the drive,
power it up, and BACK UP EVERYTHING IT CONTAINS. Then buy a real hard drive
to replace it.

If you never power down the drive, this problem won't occur.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE: