[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Spurious "Disk is Write Protected"

djbpitt@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David J Birnbaum) (03/15/91)

My 5-1/4" 1.2M floppy drive has been refusing to write to diskettes,
telling me that the "Disk is Write Protected."  This problem began some
six months ago and was very rare; it has since become extremely
frequent.  In the past, jiggling the diskette a bit would cause the
drive to accept it, but this no longer seems to work.

The drive reads properly and on those rare occasions when it is willing
to write, the files it writes are readable both by the drive in question
and by a drive on another machine.

The diskettes are all high quality and formatted normally.  There is no
visible dust or debris inside the drive in question.

Is this a known problem?  Is it one I can repair by myself and, if so,
how?  Given the bargain basement prices of disk drives, it hardly seems
worth getting it repaired professionally, but if all it needs is some
particular cleaning in some particular place, I'd be grateful if some-
one could let me know.

Thanks,

David

Professor David J. Birnbaum         djbpitt@vms.cis.pitt.edu [Internet]
The Royal York Apartments, #802     djbpitt@pittvms.bitnet   [Bitnet]
3955 Bigelow Boulevard              voice: 1-412-687-4653
Pittsburgh, PA  15123  USA          fax:   1-412-624-9714

rajah@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (03/16/91)

In article <103405@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, djbpitt@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David J Birnbaum) writes:
> My 5-1/4" 1.2M floppy drive has been refusing to write to diskettes,
> telling me that the "Disk is Write Protected."  This problem ......
>
> The diskettes are all high quality and formatted normally.  There is no
> visible dust or debris inside the drive in question.
>
> Is this a known problem?  Is it one I can repair by myself and, if so,
> how?  Given the bargain basement prices of disk drives, it hardly seems
> worth getting it repaired professionally, but if all it needs is some
> particular cleaning in some particular place, I'd be grateful if some-
> one could let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

> Professor David J. Birnbaum         djbpitt@vms.cis.pitt.edu [Internet]
> The Royal York Apartments, #802     djbpitt@pittvms.bitnet   [Bitnet]
> 3955 Bigelow Boulevard              voice: 1-412-687-4653
> Pittsburgh, PA  15123  USA          fax:   1-412-624-9714

  we experience the same problem with a computer in our lab. Drive "A"
  simply refuse to write. But it can copy from drive "A" into "C" or
  into memory. So no problem with the media (disk). I guess the drive
  somehow feels there is a protection tab on the disk. Probably the tab
  sensor does not move freely. We are going to check it soon. Any other
  suggestion on this is appreciated. Thanks,

  Rajah.

thoger@solan.unit.no (Terje Th|gersen) (03/17/91)

In article <103405@unix.cis.pitt.edu> djbpitt@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David J Birnbaum) writes:

   My 5-1/4" 1.2M floppy drive has been refusing to write to diskettes,
   telling me that the "Disk is Write Protected."  This problem began some
   six months ago and was very rare; it has since become extremely
   frequent.  In the past, jiggling the diskette a bit would cause the
   drive to accept it, but this no longer seems to work.

[deletions]

   Thanks,

   David

   Professor David J. Birnbaum         djbpitt@vms.cis.pitt.edu [Internet]
   The Royal York Apartments, #802     djbpitt@pittvms.bitnet   [Bitnet]
   3955 Bigelow Boulevard              voice: 1-412-687-4653
   Pittsburgh, PA  15123  USA          fax:   1-412-624-9714

Hi!

The drive has a little diode over on the left side, that reads the
write-protect notch on your floppy.  It sounds like this hole has
become clogged by dust.  Remove your floppydrive, and check this out.
The diode is held in place by a single screw.  (There are two diodes
on the left side of the drive, you want the one closest to the edge,
of course.  The wrong one is about an inch from the center hole.)

Regards,

  -Terje
thoger@solan.unit.no       |                 Institute of Physical Chemistry
THOGER AT NORUNIT.BITNET   | Div. of Computer Assisted Instrumental Analysis

rajah@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (03/18/91)

In article <9675.27e10c98@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu>, rajah@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
> In article <103405@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, djbpitt@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David J Birnbaum) writes:
>> My 5-1/4" 1.2M floppy drive has been refusing to write to diskettes,
>> telling me that the "Disk is Write Protected."  This problem ......
>>
>> The diskettes are all high quality and formatted normally.  There is no
>> visible dust or debris inside the drive in question.
>>
>> Is this a known problem?  Is it one I can repair by myself and, if so,
>> how?  Given the bargain basement prices of disk drives, it hardly seems
>> worth getting it repaired professionally, but if all it needs is some
>> particular cleaning in some particular place, I'd be grateful if some-
>> one could let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David

>> Professor David J. Birnbaum         djbpitt@vms.cis.pitt.edu [Internet]
>> The Royal York Apartments, #802     djbpitt@pittvms.bitnet   [Bitnet]
>> 3955 Bigelow Boulevard              voice: 1-412-687-4653
>> Pittsburgh, PA  15123  USA          fax:   1-412-624-9714
>
>   we experience the same problem with a computer in our lab. Drive "A"
>   simply refuse to write. But it can copy from drive "A" into "C" or
>   into memory. So no problem with the media (disk). I guess the drive
>   somehow feels there is a protection tab on the disk. Probably the tab
>   sensor does not move freely. We are going to check it soon. Any other
>   suggestion on this is appreciated. Thanks,
>
>   Rajah.

    As soon as I opened up the drive realized the sensing of tab is
    done by optical means----source:an LED, detector: a photodiode.

    This information is also mentioned by Mr. Quimby and Mr. Terje. Thanks.

    On testing (experimenting) found the followings:

    1. Cleaning dust didn't help.
    2. Unpluged the photodiode(detector) as it was easy to remove and
       did the diode test. Test passed.So photodiode ok.
    3. LED wasn't easy to check as it is soldered to the PCB. However,
       found a short cut. Issued the fomat command without the photodiode
       in place....hoping to see light from LED. No light from LED.
       So bad LED.

    4. Proof: Shine light on the photodiode with a flash light while
       issuing format command. It started formating. As shining light
       on photodiode is disrupted formating stoped with an error message.

    Now I need to replace the LED. Could anyone help me with the
    specification and the place where I could buy this LED. Thanks very much.

Regards.

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (03/25/91)

In article <103405@unix.cis.pitt.edu> djbpitt@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David J Birnbaum) writes:
>My 5-1/4" 1.2M floppy drive has been refusing to write to diskettes,
>telling me that the "Disk is Write Protected."  This problem began some
>six months ago and was very rare; it has since become extremely
>frequent.  In the past, jiggling the diskette a bit would cause the
>drive to accept it, but this no longer seems to work.
>
>The drive reads properly and on those rare occasions when it is willing
>to write, the files it writes are readable both by the drive in question
>and by a drive on another machine.
>
>The diskettes are all high quality and formatted normally.  There is no
>visible dust or debris inside the drive in question.
>
>Is this a known problem?  Is it one I can repair by myself and, if so,
>how?  Given the bargain basement prices of disk drives, it hardly seems
>worth getting it repaired professionally, but if all it needs is some
>particular cleaning in some particular place, I'd be grateful if some-
>one could let me know.

It is very likely dust in the light path for the sensor.  I have had
this problem a number of times with TEAC 1.2meg floppies on my machines,
usually after a long period of not using the floppy.  Often, just putting
a vacuum cleaner nozzle as close to the light head as you can will clear
the fault.  However, with one floppy, I have had to take it out, remove
the screws holding the top card, and clean out inside.  I could not see
any visible dust, but blowing out the light source and sensor and holes
between solved the problem.

One thing that is a factor is that in most machines cooling fans suck
air through the floppy slot.

If your machine has run for a long time, I would also suggest that
you remove the power supply and vacuum all around it.  I have been astounded
by the dust buildup I have found on machines that ran in relatively clean
areas and that looked clean when I took the cover off---the dust is
underneath where you can't see it.