[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Orchid PD2 vs. STB Ergo SVGA cards

goris@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Andy Goris) (03/20/91)

I have a few graphics questions:

Can anyone tell me the difference between an Orchid Prodesigner II SVGA
card and an STB Ergo card?  I want to be able to drive 1024x768 at 60 Hz.
Can these cards support CGA or EGA?  If so, do they do this by multiscanning?

After talking to several mail-order houses, all I've learned is that both
cards are based on the Tseng-4000 chip set.  The Prodesigner II seems to
have gotten lots of good reviews on the net, but the STB Ergo is significantly
cheaper and a newer design.

Also, can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of the NEC 4D vs. the
Nanao 9070u?  They seem to be similarly priced, but I have never seen either
one, and want to buy mail-order (risky buying a monitor I've never seen, eh?).

Thanks!

Andy Goris          goris@hpfcla.fc.hp.com

Here are some prices I've found for the NEC 4D:

  Tri-state $    949.95
  Bulldog        989.00
  Lucky         1250.00 (claims the monitor is on allocation from NEC)
  HiQ           1199.00
  Atman         1271.00
  Compusave      991.00
  Data Dynamics  995.00

Prices for Orchid Prodesigner II

  Treasure Chest $  259.00  (1M )
  ACS               229.00  (512K )
  Hokkins           225.00  (1M )
  Microline         245.00  (1M )
  Hitech-USA        249.00  (1M)
  Essence           250.00  (1M)
Some companies charge up to $350 for the Orchid Prodesigner II!

Prices for STB Ergo (what is the difference between this and the STB Powergraph)

  Lucky   $ 225.00

jones@acsu.buffalo.edu (terry a jones) (03/22/91)

In article <34390001@hpfcdj.HP.COM> goris@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Andy Goris) writes:
>I have a few graphics questions:
>
>Can anyone tell me the difference between an Orchid Prodesigner II SVGA
>card and an STB Ergo card?  I want to be able to drive 1024x768 at 60 Hz.
>Can these cards support CGA or EGA?  If so, do they do this by multiscanning?

	From what I can see, the STB ERGO card is capable of driving the
monitor at a faster vertical refresh rate.  From the specs that I had them
fax me on the card:

	mode		resolution		Hfreq/Vfreq
	----		----------		-----------
 11h, 12h, 2eh, 79h,	640x480			31.5KHz/60Hz
 101h						38.2KHz/72Hz

 29h, 30h, 6ah, 70h,	800x600			37.8KHz/60Hz
 102h, 103h					45.6KHz/72Hz

 37h, 38h, 72h, 73h,	1024x768		48.6KHz/60Hz (non-interlace)
 104h, 105h					56.3KHz/70Hz (non-interlace)

 37h, 38h, 7eh, 7fh,	1024x768		35.5KHz/88Hz (interlace)
 104h, 105h

	I am considering getting this board since it will do 1024x768 in
256 color with 1Meg of video RAM.  Has anyone tried this board that has
comments, good or bad?

	On another note, I'm looking for recommendations on a 20" color,
multi-scanning monitor.  I've seen a few ads for a Sampo monitor in the
$1300.00 range, anyone used this monitor?  Is the price a little too good
to be true?

	Thanks,
	Terry

Terry Jones   				{rutgers,uunet}!acsu.buffalo.edu!jones
SUNY at Buffalo ECE Dept.	  or: rutgers!ub!jones, jones@acsu.buffalo.edu

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/25/91)

>Can anyone tell me the difference between an Orchid Prodesigner II SVGA
>card and an STB Ergo card?  I want to be able to drive 1024x768 at 60 Hz.
>Can these cards support CGA or EGA?  If so, do they do this by multiscanning?

>After talking to several mail-order houses, all I've learned is that both
>cards are based on the Tseng-4000 chip set.  The Prodesigner II seems to
>have gotten lots of good reviews on the net, but the STB Ergo is significantly
>cheaper and a newer design.

Another Tseng-4000 based card I've heard good things about is
the Boca SVGA. Since its available for something like $160 with
1 meg installed from PC Connection, it may be worthwhile to add
this to the list of review requests.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !