[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Orchid PD2 vs. STB Ergo SVGA cards vs. Boca SVGA

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/25/91)

Posting this for person who can't post.

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 01:50:24 PST
From: cg199ag@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Steve - Happy Hacker)
To: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
Subject: Re: Orchid PD2 vs. STB Ergo SVGA cards

   From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
   Date: 25 Mar 91 02:44:15 GMT

   >Can anyone tell me the difference between an Orchid Prodesigner II SVGA
   >card and an STB Ergo card?  I want to be able to drive 1024x768 at 60 Hz.
   >Can these cards support CGA or EGA?  If so, do they do this by multiscanning?

   >After talking to several mail-order houses, all I've learned is that both
   >cards are based on the Tseng-4000 chip set.  The Prodesigner II seems to
   >have gotten lots of good reviews on the net, but the STB Ergo is significantly
   >cheaper and a newer design.

>   Another Tseng-4000 based card I've heard good things about is
>   the Boca SVGA. Since its available for something like $160 with
>   1 meg installed from PC Connection, it may be worthwhile to add
>   this to the list of review requests.

----------------

I have a BOCA VGA card myself.  I got it about 3 months ago for the exact
price you mentioned.

I could not be more pleased with this card.  It's the second VGA card I have
owned, the first being an STB Powergraph clone by Compudyne.

VidSpeed rates the BOCA card at 4600 K/sec in all but one mode (I don't
remember which, but it was a less-used mode, and the speed there was
about 3000 K/sec).

I have yet to find software that doesn't like it.  The included disk has
drivers for Ventura, Windows 3.0, older Windows, Autocad, WordPerfect 5 &
4, and a few others.  The WP support is great for viewing, and you can chose
any mode to use.  (I like 800x600 because my monitor can't do 1024
non-interlaced).

Overall, the speed difference between this card and most others I have
used is very noticible.  The STB I had rated about 2600 K/sec and half
that in some modes.

Overall, I'm a happy BOCA customer.

My sys:
Amstrad 386/33 w/256K cache
VGA monitor by Compudyne, 1024x768 interlaced, and everything down.
1 Meg on the BOCA card, wait states for 16-bit turned all the way down
and bus I/O speed all the way up. :)
7 Megs of ram (don't ask)
etc..

Oh, two programs that are strange are DAZZLE and TUNNEL, both of which
are VGA color-sliding graphics demos.
When run in turbo (33MHz), the blue flickers noticably.  This detracts
from the overall smooth, hypnotic effect, so I take it out of turbo
(25 MHz) and everything is like it should be.
I did play with the bus speed and wait states, to no avail.
I have never seen this happen in games or any other program, so I can
live with it.  I should also note that the STB card did this exact same
thing, to the same extent.
Both the BOCA and STB (as you mentioned) are Tseng ET4000 based.
I needed this processor to run X-Windows under Interactive Unix,
because others are not yet supported.

I would have posted this to the net, but my current account lacks
posting ablility.  Feel free to post this in part or in whole if you
wish.

Good Luck!

-Steve Haehnichen
shaehnic@ucsd.edu   -or-
shaehnic@ucsd.bitnet

Please disregard following sig!

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !