[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] VGA monitor switchbox

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (03/22/91)

I have a lack of deskspace AND a lack of funds for a second VGA
monitor.  SO, I would like to get a switchbox so I can use my
single VGA monitor with two computers.

I've asked our hardware guru at work and he says such a box
should not cause any damage to the computers or monitor.

Problem is, where can I get one?  I've called half-a-dozen places,
and none carry one.  I *could* make one, but I fear degrading
the signal if I start passing video signals through the kind of
solder joints I would end up making.  ;-)

Any suggestions welcome!  Thanks in advance,

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (03/23/91)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

> I have a lack of deskspace AND a lack of funds for a second VGA
> monitor.  SO, I would like to get a switchbox so I can use my
> single VGA monitor with two computers.
>
> I've asked our hardware guru at work and he says such a box
> should not cause any damage to the computers or monitor.
>
> Problem is, where can I get one?  I've called half-a-dozen places,
> and none carry one.  I *could* make one, but I fear degrading
> the signal if I start passing video signals through the kind of
> solder joints I would end up making.  ;-)
>
> Any suggestions welcome!  Thanks in advance,
>
>                                                             Kurt
> --
> || Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
> || 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
> || Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
> ||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
> ||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

Well, I was looking for same, as I didn't feel like making one.  Here's
what I settled on.  I purchased two VGA cable extenders,and plugged one
into my Amiga 3000, and one into my AT.  Then, when I switch machines, I
just plug the monitor into whichever extender is appropriate.  Not the
nicest, but hey, it was only $5, and sure beats pulling it iut of the
machine all the time.

rory

edm@hpfcmdd.hp.com (Ed Moore) (03/26/91)

One vendor who sells video switches is Network Technologies in Aurora, Ohio.
I think the switch you need is SW15-2M; price $85.00.  We have used several
of their video splitters and switch boxes.  All are very high quality.  NTI
can be reached at (800)RGB-TECH.