[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HELP? with a Seagate St-225

curlandm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matt Curland) (03/26/91)

Should this St-225 work in an AT? I can't get it to format, no matter
what I do. The computer is a DTK. The BIOS hard disk format won't
work, "Disk Manager" won't work either. But Disk Manager seems to work
with this drive when I put it into my old Compaq XT.

Help?

Matt Curland.. .  .   .    .     .       .         curlandm@prism.cs.orst.edu

cd5340@mars.njit.edu (David Charlap) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.113404.9697@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> curlandm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matt Curland) writes:
>Should this St-225 work in an AT? I can't get it to format, no matter
>what I do. The computer is a DTK. The BIOS hard disk format won't
>work, "Disk Manager" won't work either. But Disk Manager seems to work
>with this drive when I put it into my old Compaq XT.

check your controller card.  if you're using an AT controller, be sure
the BIOS settings match the drive  (a ST225 is 4 heads, 615 cyl, I think)
If you're using the XT controller, make sure the BIOS is set to
NO HARD DRIVE, since the XT controller ignores and will interfere with
the BIOS setting.
--
David Charlap                   "Invention is the mother of necessity"
cd5340@mars.njit.edu            "Necessity is a mother"