[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] WD 1004-27x HD controller - need setup-help

thoger@solan.unit.no (Terje Th|gersen) (03/26/91)

Hi!

A friend of mine is trying to use a 32MB hardcard removed from a PC in
his '286.  The card worked in the PC, refuses to work in his Commodore
PC-40 with an on-board IDE controller. (It also failed in a Copam '286
with a ST506 controller)

The card uses the Western Digital 1004-27x RLL controller, and of
course comes with tons of jumpers that can be set.

Does anybody out there have some specific info on this controller?

Thank you,

  -Terje
thoger@solan.unit.no       |                 Institute of Physical Chemistry
THOGER AT NORUNIT.BITNET   | Div. of Computer Assisted Instrumental Analysis

mstr@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Strand) (03/27/91)

In article <THOGER.91Mar26062736@lise5.solan.unit.no> thoger@solan.unit.no (Terje Th|gersen) writes:

>A friend of mine is trying to use a 32MB hardcard removed from a PC in
>his '286.  The card worked in the PC, refuses to work in his Commodore
>PC-40 with an on-board IDE controller. (It also failed in a Copam '286
>with a ST506 controller)

You can't have both IDE and the hardcard, or any other ST-412/506 controller.
It is also possible that the hardcard can't be used together with any
other drive.

Had the Copam '286's ST506 controller itsown BIOS or did it use system BIOS?
Try to put setup for D-drive, either to the correct value or to none.
I had to either disable controller BIOS or set SETUP to none, on one 286.

Markus Strand
mstr@vipunen.hut.fi