[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Trident SVGA, CTX monitors and Quantum IDE HD's experience?

wp@iddth.id.dk (Wiesiek Pawlowski (900415#GUEST)) (03/27/91)

Hi,

does anybody have any experience with the following pieces of hardware:

  - TRIDENT Super VGA with 1MB video RAM
  - CTX Super VGA monitor 14" 1024x768 Res, 0.29mm Dot pitch
  - Quantum IDE hard drive 100M 17ms with 64K Cache buffer.

Are they reliable? I am from Poland and I'm trying to buy a 386/25?33
sytem. I've faxed a company called Standard Computer Inc. and they look
quite good but I'd like to get some "independent" input on the quality
of the hardware they sell. Any comments?

With the best wishes,
Wiesiek Pawlowski
temporarily at
DTH, Copenhagen, Denamark

wp@id.dth.dk

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) (03/28/91)

In article <wp.670073618@iddth2> wp@iddth.id.dk (Wiesiek Pawlowski (900415#GUEST)) writes:
>does anybody have any experience with the following pieces of hardware:
>  - TRIDENT Super VGA with 1MB video RAM

While reliable, these are very slow especially in the the Super VGA
modes under Windows 3.0. I think you'd be much better off with a Tseng
Labs ET4000 based card at roughly the same prices.

+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (03/28/91)

woan@nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:

>In article <wp.670073618@iddth2> wp@iddth.id.dk (Wiesiek Pawlowski (900415#GUEST)) writes:
>>does anybody have any experience with the following pieces of hardware:
>>  - TRIDENT Super VGA with 1MB video RAM

>While reliable, these are very slow especially in the the Super VGA
>modes under Windows 3.0. I think you'd be much better off with a Tseng
>Labs ET4000 based card at roughly the same prices.

I have both a Trident 8900 1Meg and a CTX monitor - the monitor is
fairly good, considering its not a "real" multisync; its a trisync.
It IS far superior to many other trisync monitors are concerned, as far
as dot pitch and sync speed is concerned. I do have to bitch a little about
the Trident 8900 card though - yes, the old windows 3.0 drivers were
REAL slow for 256 color modes, although there is a beta version out
on trident's bbs in sunnyvale (can get # if you want it, but don't have it
handy). The beta version is supposedly "up to 5x faster," which makes it
pretty tolerable. I use the 800x600x256 mode because the 1024x768 interlaced
mode is TERRIBLE. This is due to the card (i think) because i did some
mixing and matching with my friend's Swan (Tseng ET4000) card and his NEC 3d.
Essentially, the Swan looked GREAT on the CTX and the Trident sucked hard
on the NEC 3D.  Of course, i think the Swan has about 5 separate
timing crystals as opposed to the Trident's one 40Mhz crystal (with
probably a dozen different dividing circuits). This no doubt is a vital
difference in the interlaced modes where precise timing is critical.
The only advantage my trident card had was a non-interlaced 1024 mode,
although i'm told the new Swans have it too now. I didn't have a monitor
that had the 1024 non-int. mode, so i sadly didn't get to try the mode out
on the Trident.  Overall though, its a pretty decent card as far as speed
and reliability go.

One word of warning - since the CTX is not a true multisync make SURE
that all modes on whatever video card you buy have scan rates that the
CTX can sync to.

Good luck!
nye