[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Hard Disk setup and partiioning

grant@telesoft.com (Grant A. Lowe @second) (03/25/91)

Hi everybody.  I just got an St-251 Seagate with a 5150XL Disk
Controller from Data Technology (a division of QUME Corp.).  Well,
I run the DOS program debug, and at the - prompt, I enter the
following g=c800:5 (the BIOS address).  I'm then taken to the
* Format Utility * Menu.  It displays: Drive no. (1-2), and I enter
the number 1.  When I do that it gives me the error message: Drive NOT
READY or NOT DISK.  Why am I getting this?  I have an EGA Wonder card,
and I was wondering if they are using the same address (I don't know
anything about addresses, this just crossed my mind)?  Or is it
something else?  The drive does have power and I made sure that I
installed the controller cords with the red wire nearest the slot in
the controller.  I haven't changed the jumpers either.  One more thing
is that the hard disk light doesn't come on at all when I power on or
when trying to format the disk.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

grant

LEVYJI@PURCCVM.BITNET (03/26/91)

Grant, you may not be using the correct bios address on your hard drive
controller card.  I used to have a list but I have since misplaced it.

     Some suggestions:  Call the manufacturer of the hard drive controller and
                        find out what the correct bios address is.

                        Second, call the manufacturer of your hard drive the
                        st-251 and find out all the correct specifications.
                        The correct number of cilinders, and heads and all that
                        fun stuff.

                        Lastly, why are you using debug.  Is it just to do a
                        low level format.  First try and use the dos fdisk
                        command and then format c:.  That should work fine.
                        I have had problems using debug in the past.  I
                        borrowed a friends copy of Disk Manager.  Give this a
                        try, it seems effective.

Good Luck let me know if you need any more help.

Jeff
levyji@vm.cc.purdue.edu

gale@virtech.uucp (Gale A. Botwick) (03/28/91)

grant@telesoft.com (Grant A. Lowe @second) writes:

>Hi everybody.  I just got an St-251 Seagate with a 5150XL Disk
>Controller from Data Technology (a division of QUME Corp.).  Well,
>I run the DOS program debug, and at the - prompt, I enter the
>following g=c800:5 (the BIOS address).  I'm then taken to the
>* Format Utility * Menu.  It displays: Drive no. (1-2), and I enter
>the number 1.  When I do that it gives me the error message: Drive NOT
>READY or NOT DISK.  Why am I getting this?  I have an EGA Wonder card,
>and I was wondering if they are using the same address (I don't know
>anything about addresses, this just crossed my mind)?  Or is it
>something else?  The drive does have power and I made sure that I
>installed the controller cords with the red wire nearest the slot in
>the controller.  I haven't changed the jumpers either.  One more thing
>is that the hard disk light doesn't come on at all when I power on or
>when trying to format the disk.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

>grant

Have you connected the 4 wire power cord from the power supply to the
hard disk drive?  Or is that the cord you are referencing?  Usually they
only fit in one way.  The light on the drive should be on at all times
when the system is powered on.  Make sure that you've plugged the cable
from the hard drive into the correct place on the controller.
If I remember correctly, the DTC controller that you speak of supports up to
two hard disk drives (MFM).  Drive 1/2 are indicated on the card or by
J# and referenced in the manual.  There shouldn't be a conflict with the
EGA card.  Are you installing this on a computer that didn't have a hard
drive previously?   What BIOS do you have on this PC?  Does setup recognize
the hard drive?

Gale