[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] video decisions-which way?

bbb@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/29/91)

Decisions decisions..

I've just about made my mind up to get an Orchid
Pro-designer-II w/1 meg, and either the NEC 3D monitor
or the SONY 1304.
Anyone out there have experience with this set up?
Any comments about which monitor to choose?
Is there a better video card to consider?
E-Mail welcome.  Thanks in advance.

douglas@nosc.mil (Douglas Dickerson) (03/29/91)

bbb@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>I've just about made my mind up to get an Orchid
>Pro-designer-II w/1 meg, and either the NEC 3D monitor
>or the SONY 1304.
>Anyone out there have experience with this set up?
>Any comments about which monitor to choose?
>Is there a better video card to consider?

I've had the 1Mb ProII and 1304 combination for 1 month.
It works great for our family.  The ProII is fast.

Several observations:

(1) The ProII and 1304 are capable of 1024x768x256 non-interlaced
    mode.  My *understanding* is that the 3D does interlaced only
    at that resolution.

(2) If you're planning to use Win 3.0 in 1024x768 on a 12" monitor,
    the icons and print get *annoyingly* hard to read.  After switching
    back and forth several times, our family finally settled on the
    SVGA 800x600x256 non-interlaced mode for Windows.  The PC-world
    consensus seems to be that a 16" monitor is the minimum desired
    size for the extended 1024 resolution.

    Doug Dickerson
    douglas@gandalf.nosc.mil