[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] The $25 LAN

atc@waikato.ac.nz (03/29/91)

Does anyone have any experience with the "$25 LAN"
sold by B G Micro - March computer shopper.
I am interested in finding a very cheep way to string
2 or 3
users machines together so they can access all peripherals
on any machine, plus files.
Any advice appreciated

PS Does it really cost just $25?
And does it just consist of a TSR and serial cable?

THANX in advance

Andrew Chambers
Computer Services
University Of Waikato
New Zealand

bstone@convex.com (Barry Stone) (03/29/91)

The $25 Network was written by Information Modes in Denton, TX.  They
say that you can hook the serial ports of two or three computers
together, install the software, and share files and printers.  I don't
know about other peripherals.  The software is $25 per network.  The
only other thing you need is null-modem RS-232 cables.  I haven't used
it myself, but have seen and heard enthusiastic reviews.

raymond@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Carl J Raymond) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar29.160354.3276@waikato.ac.nz> atc@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with the "$25 LAN"
>sold by B G Micro - March computer shopper.
>I am interested in finding a very cheep way to string
>2 or 3
>users machines together so they can access all peripherals
>on any machine, plus files.
>Any advice appreciated
>
>PS Does it really cost just $25?
>And does it just consist of a TSR and serial cable?
>
>THANX in advance
>
>Andrew Chambers
>Computer Services
>University Of Waikato
>New Zealand

  At work I use a product called the $25 Network from Information Modes.
I don't know if it's the same product as the BG Micro.  I can say that
we have been very satisfied.  We have two PC's connected by a null modem
cable, which allows us to share the drives and network the printer.
It's nothing fancy, but it works exactly as advertised, and has been
extremely reliable.  It does cost only $25.00, and takes up less than
15K on each machine.  Offhand, I can't think of any software that won't
work with it, except the FORMAT program, which is to be expected.
You'll need a 5-wire null modem cable, which you can buy from Imodes, or
assemble yourself with the instructions in the manual.  Their address
is:
  Information Modes
  PO Drawer F
  Denton, TX 76202
  1-800-628-7992 for orders
  1-817-387-3339 for tech. supp.

  I have no connection with this company except as a happy customer.

Carl Raymond