[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Scroll lock

v053qgzj@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (David M Snyderman) (03/22/91)

I'm just curious-- in my four years of PC usage, I have never found a use
for the scroll lock key.  Are they just a leftover from mainframe days or is
there a legitimate use for them?  Have I been missing the boat these past four
years?

Dave

tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Adam Goldberg) (03/22/91)

In article <66886@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v053qgzj@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (David M Snyderman) writes:
>I'm just curious-- in my four years of PC usage, I have never found a use
>for the scroll lock key.  Are they just a leftover from mainframe days or is
>there a legitimate use for them?  Have I been missing the boat these past four
>years?
>
>Dave

Of course there is, Dave!  IBM wouldn't just put something there for no reason!
It's used in conjunction with the SYS REQ key, on particular applications, when
using MS-DOS (not PC-DOS) 3.1415927, and you hit SYS REQ when scroll lock is
ON, you get an extra special menu that opens up whole new worlds of PC-based
applications!

Uh huh.

Actually, Lotus 1-2-3's scrolling manner changes when you have scroll lock
on/off, ie, it is possible to sense whether scroll lock is on or off, but
nobody ever did anything with it (because it was a lame idea, thanks, Big Blue)

Adam

PS: Apologies, just call me facitious.

Flames=/dev/null;

+ Adam Goldberg                         Bitnet:   tabu6@ISUVAX.BITNET        +
+ Iowa State University                 Internet: tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU    +
+ H: (515) 233-5135
+          "It's simple!  Even a Pascal programmer could do it!"             +

CTuna@cup.portal.com (Don S Gladden) (03/22/91)

I'm just curious-- in my four years of PC usage, I have never found a use
for the scroll lock key.  Are they just a leftover from mainframe days or is
there a legitimate use for them?  Have I been missing the boat these past four
years?

Heh...  I'm glad SOMEBODY asked about that before me..  it has been bugging
me, too!  Anyone ?????

v053qgzj@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (David M Snyderman) (03/22/91)

In article <40442@cup.portal.com>, CTuna@cup.portal.com (Don S Gladden) writes...
>I'm just curious-- in my four years of PC usage, I have never found a use
>for the scroll lock key.  Are they just a leftover from mainframe days or is
>there a legitimate use for them?  Have I been missing the boat these past four
>years?
(my original question)

>Heh...  I'm glad SOMEBODY asked about that before me..  it has been bugging
>me, too!  Anyone ?????

Ok-- I got a quick E-mail response on this-- here is also another response
somewhere before this on the board.  Scroll lock has something to do with
the scrolling of the original Lotus Windows.  Whoop dee doo.
In other words, I may have been missing the boat-- but not on scroll lock.

I guess the next thing we have to do is find a way to put that piece of
plastic to work.  No reason to let it freeload on the keyboard!

Dave
David M. Snyderman
V053QGZJ@UBVMSB

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.011729.4929@news.iastate.edu>
  tabu6@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:
>Actually, Lotus 1-2-3's scrolling manner changes when you have scroll lock
>on/off, ie, it is possible to sense whether scroll lock is on or off, but
>nobody ever did anything with it (because it was a lame idea, thanks, Big Blue)

Actually, it's not such a lame idea.  It's just that IBM, in their infinite
wisdom, realized that it made better sense to assign the "scroll lock" function
to the CTRL/NUMLOCK sequence.  Can't you see the logic in that?

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (03/23/91)

In article <67011@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v053qgzj@ubvmsb (David M Snyderman) writes:
>Scroll lock has something to do with the scrolling of the
>original Lotus Windows.

Talk about confusing the effect with the cause...

IBM introduced `scroll lock' to allow an application to give the arrow
keys an additional level of meaning, namely to control scrolling.
Lotus 1-2-3 is one of the more popular programs that use it for this
purpose.  (Borland's SideKick also uses it.)  Most applications,
however, blithely ignore the `scroll lock' key and use some other
nonstandard way of controlling scrolling.

Lotus certainly didn't invent `scroll lock'; in fact, it could
be argued that Lotus was just `following the rules'.  `Scroll lock'
turned out to be a standard that never caught on.  Such is life.

dth@cs.brown.edu (Dzung T. Hoang) (03/23/91)

In article <40442@cup.portal.com> CTuna@cup.portal.com (Don S Gladden) writes:
>I'm just curious-- in my four years of PC usage, I have never found a use
>for the scroll lock key.  Are they just a leftover from mainframe days or is
>there a legitimate use for them?  Have I been missing the boat these past four
>years?
>
>Heh...  I'm glad SOMEBODY asked about that before me..  it has been bugging
>me, too!  Anyone ?????

There is a TSR that exists just to make the SCROLL LOCK key useful.
It is called SCROLOCK or something similar.  Anyway, the TSR lets you
use the key to (guessed it yet?) pause the screen before scrolling
begins, if the scroll lock light is on, of course.  This is useful for
viewing a long directory, for instance.  The program is pretty smart
about when to pause the screen, but I have found no need for it, so
it's no longer in my system.  I believe it was posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc some time ago.  If not, it should be at
simtel.arpa.

Dzung T. Hoang
dth@cs.brown.edu

wbl@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Wen-Po Bobby Lee) (03/24/91)

>>I'm just curious-- in my four years of PC usage, I have never found a use
>>for the scroll lock key.  Are they just a leftover from mainframe days or is
>>there a legitimate use for them?  Have I been missing the boat these past four
>>years?

The only times I ever use that key is when I need to send a Ctrl-Break on my
standard XT keyboard.  Of course, it would have made more sense to print
"Break" on the top and "Scroll Lock" on the bottom side (or not at all).
Perhaps, as somenone has already mentioned, IBM thought "Scroll Lock" goes
better with "Num Lock".  Kansei (sp) engineering?

The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of the University
nor any of its affiliates.  -wbl@ocf.berkeley.edu

c60b-1eq@web-1f.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar23.182625.19132@agate.berkeley.edu> wbl@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Wen-Po Bobby Lee) writes:
>>>I'm just curious-- in my four years of PC usage, I have never found a use
>>>for the scroll lock key.  Are they just a leftover from mainframe days or is
>>>there a legitimate use for them?  Have I been missing the boat these past four
>>>years?
>The only times I ever use that key is when I need to send a Ctrl-Break on my
>standard XT keyboard.  Of course, it would have made more sense to print
>"Break" on the top and "Scroll Lock" on the bottom side (or not at all).
>Perhaps, as somenone has already mentioned, IBM thought "Scroll Lock" goes
>better with "Num Lock".  Kansei (sp) engineering?

Indeed...But on the extended keyboards, Num Lock is its own key grouped with
the numeric keypad, a new "Pause" key is put in Num Lock's old spot,
Ctrl-Pause becomes break, and Scroll Lock is left by itself.  _Then_
you notice how useless it really is.

+==========================================================================+
| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/25/91)

>Ok-- I got a quick E-mail response on this-- here is also another response
>somewhere before this on the board.  Scroll lock has something to do with
>the scrolling of the original Lotus Windows.  Whoop dee doo.
>In other words, I may have been missing the boat-- but not on scroll lock.

Lotus Windows huh? Well, true, it changes that. (cursor
remains in the same spot, spreadsheet scrolls by it in-
stead of the other way around. Took me an hour to figure
it out the first time I did it by mistake.) But other
programs make use of it too. NCSA Telnet uses it to toggle
to a scrollback mode (hit scrlk, then uparrow). FansiCon-
sole has a switch that allows you to use it as a one
button (HAHAHAHAHA) scroll lock, relacing ctrl-S crtrl-Q.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

sophist@brainiac.raidernet.com (Phillip McReynolds) (03/25/91)

c60b-1eq@web-1f.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) writes:

> Indeed...But on the extended keyboards, Num Lock is its own key grouped with
> the numeric keypad, a new "Pause" key is put in Num Lock's old spot,
> Ctrl-Pause becomes break, and Scroll Lock is left by itself.  _Then_
> you notice how useless it really is.
>
> +==========================================================================+
> | Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
> | c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
> | University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |

Egads!  With its very own light and everything!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Phillip A. McReynolds,                  sophist@brainiac.raidernet.com
Licensed Philosopher              org:  Phillip's Philosophy Shop, Inc.
(MPA Certified)                "Quality Philosophy Products Since 1990"
#include BiFF's_.sig
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

coop4y44@bwdla28.bnr.ca (Takis Skagos) (03/26/91)

  I've a question about turnin off the scroll lock key in
AUTOEXEC.BAT.  I've seen an escape sequence used once, but
I cannot remember where.  If somebody knows of the sequence,
could you please pass on the info.  Thanks!

						Taki

shane@inferno.peri.com (Shane Bouslough) (03/30/91)

From article <40442@cup.portal.com>, by CTuna@cup.portal.com (Don S Gladden):
> I'm just curious-- in my four years of PC usage, I have never found a use
> for the scroll lock key.  Are they just a leftover from mainframe days or is
> there a legitimate use for them?  Have I been missing the boat these past four
> years?
>
> Heh...  I'm glad SOMEBODY asked about that before me..  it has been bugging
> me, too!  Anyone ?????

Heck, what about the `pause' key!!!! If I remember correctly, there isn't
even a scan code for it! Why didn't they just label it `nop'.
--
Shane Bouslough    |  ...!rutgers!mcdhup!inferno!shane           516-467-0500
Periphonics Corp.  |