[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ProDesigner II and its color-lookup-table chip

glenn@cs.utexas.edu (Glenn G. Lai) (03/29/91)

I have an application that requires setting the entire color lookup table.
However, I couldn't set the rgb values of color 0 to anything other than
(0,0,0) (or a low-value triple) and get a proper image.  It seems that the
intensity of the card's rgb output is reduced by color 0's rgb values.  For
example, if color 0 is (65535,0,0), then the red component of the image is
completely filtered out; if it's (65535,65535,0), then both red and green
are gone.

The ProDesigner II uses a 478 D/A to store the color lookup table.  I called
Orchid tech support for the second time and, as was the first time, the first
person got confused when I got technical and the second person said that he
couldn't provide me with any information to anything I asked, including how I
could find out anything about the 478.  (I'm curious as to if this really meant
he was also ignorant.)

Do I need to write more values into the 478, or is there no solution to yhid?

Glenn
glenn@cs.utexas.edu

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/30/91)

glenn@cs.utexas.edu (Glenn G. Lai) writes:
>I have an application that requires setting the entire color lookup table.
>However, I couldn't set the rgb values of color 0 to anything other than
>(0,0,0) (or a low-value triple) and get a proper image.  It seems that the
>intensity of the card's rgb output is reduced by color 0's rgb values.  For

Based on the 478 data sheet I looked at, this doesn't seem to be
how it works.

--
Gun control is elitist.