[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 386-33mhz Motherboards

deen@romulus.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) (03/28/91)

	I would like to build my own 386 and would like some advice
	on what motherboards to look at or avoid.

	I know this question has been asked before, so if anyone
	has a summary they would like to post or mail me it would
	be greatly appreciated.

	Specifically, I am interested in a 33mhz 386 with 8 megs to be
	used as a windows development system.  I will buy a drive mail
	order and a case at a local computer show.  Everything else
	I need I already have(monitor,vga, modem, 3.5floppy ...)

	My current interest is in the Mylex(?) motherboard, I think
	it's what is used in the ZEOS 386-33.  Anyone know of a good
	supplier?  Any problems with this board?

						...LATERness...

						-Z Raisin
--
---
"May The Prezent Tenz Be With You."

deen@romulus.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) (03/30/91)

	After looking about a bit, I think I have found what I am
	looking for:

		AMI MARK IV motherboard-33mhz w/8 megs(70ns SIMMs)
			64k Cache	$1600.

		100meg Conner IDE drive	$439

		The rest of the stuff is trivial( floppies, I/O, etc.)

	Does anyone have any comments on either of these components,
	or the combination.  Anyone found better prices?

	Specifically I am worried about the drive.  I don't have
	much experience with IDE drives, and I hope it won't be
	causeing a bottleneck on such a speedy system.  I would
	have gone for an ESDI setup but that costs $$$$$ ;-<

						...Tanx In Advanz...

						-Z Raisin

	PS. Thanks to everyone that responded to my earlier post. Your
		suggestions on where to look were very helpful.

						<Z>
--
---

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/30/91)

In article <Mar.29.11.58.49.1991.17121@romulus.rutgers.edu> deen@romulus.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) writes:
|		AMI MARK IV motherboard-33mhz w/8 megs(70ns SIMMs)
|			64k Cache	$1600.

I thought motherboards were around $400. (of course, we get good prices
on the 80386) Another $400 for 8 megs of memory and it looks like
you're paying $800 for the 80386.

Hey, I could probably scrape up an 80386 for you for only $750. :-)

--
Gun control is elitist.

dyson@cbnewsk.att.com (john.s.dyson) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar30.011407.25722@amd.com>, phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <Mar.29.11.58.49.1991.17121@romulus.rutgers.edu> deen@romulus.rutgers.edu (Cinnamon Raisin) writes:
> |		AMI MARK IV motherboard-33mhz w/8 megs(70ns SIMMs)
> |			64k Cache	$1600.
>
> I thought motherboards were around $400. (of course, we get good prices
> on the 80386) Another $400 for 8 megs of memory and it looks like
> you're paying $800 for the 80386.
>
> Hey, I could probably scrape up an 80386 for you for only $750. :-)

I strongly suggest that one be very conservative in the selection
of an AT/386 motherboard.  The cost of a very good, tested, reliable
motherboard (AMI, Mylex, etc) vs. a much less well known
board possibly not tested with UNIX is only a small part of the cost
of a system.  I have seen numerous incompatibilities,  from subtile
keyboard interactions with UNIX to Windows 3.0 not working.  I have
built (or assisted in the selection of MB's) several systems and
strongly believe that the AMI boards are of top quality.  Spend a
few hundred bucks more to get something that might give you
quite a few less headaches.

I do not want to debug someone elses BIOS bugs or put up with problems
with software or hardware other than the ones that I create.

John Dyson
dyson@inuxy.att.com

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (03/31/91)

>		AMI MARK IV motherboard-33mhz w/8 megs(70ns SIMMs)
>			64k Cache	$1600.
                                        ^^^^^

Bloody expensive. AMI can be considered a major brand,
though. What chipset does it use?

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !