[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Is DESQview/X released yet ?

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (03/27/91)

In article <140700039@cdp> dyurman@cdp.UUCP writes:

>Well, actually I think Quarterdeck Office Systems has the right
>idea and that is to merge access to local personal productivity
>software on your PC, in a multi-tasking environment, with the
>X-Windows client / server relationship to remote hosts across a
>network.  I am still astonished that Microsoft did NOT do with
>with Windows.

Microsoft hasn't done anything innovative in a long time.  Lately, most
of their products have been knee-jerk reactions to other products, i.e.
DOS 5.0 vs DR DOS 5.0.

P.S.  Nobody in the X world will take you seriously if you call it
      "X Windows".  The correct name for the system is "X Window".

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

jham@mcs213f.cs.umr.edu (John Ham) (03/27/91)

Who cares what a great concept it is if they never release it?
It's been hyped forever but all they have to offer is a booklet.
They should quit advertising it if they don't have it.  I don't
need promises, I need the product.

John Ham

scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) (04/01/91)

In article <4735@gumby.Altos.COM> jerry@altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) writes:
>P.S.  Nobody in the X world will take you seriously if you call it
>      "X Windows".  The correct name for the system is "X Window".

Actually, the *official* name is "The X Window System".

As it says on the X11R3 release notes (I think): "It's a window system
called X, not a system called X Windows" - I may have paraphrased it
slightly.

| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|