[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Have any one seen a T5200C ?

sc05@gte.com (Shih-Chio Chang) (03/27/91)

I am thinking about buying a Toshiba T5200C -- the new laptop with a color
LCD display.  It looks impressive from the picture in its Bytes Ad.
The problem is that nobody that I talked to has ever seen one.  I wonder
if anybody has seen one in some trade show?  If you do, what do you think
about its color display?  Does it give reasonably good color and contrast?
Or should I stick with the plasma display?  Thanks for any information.

S.C. Chang
GTE Labs
schang@gte.com

gerardka@hobbes.ism.isc.com (gerard) (03/27/91)

In article <10848@bunny.GTE.COM> sc05@gte.com (Shih-Chio Chang) writes:
>I am thinking about buying a Toshiba T5200C -- the new laptop with a color
>LCD display.  It looks impressive from the picture in its Bytes Ad.
>The problem is that nobody that I talked to has ever seen one.  I wonder
>if anybody has seen one in some trade show?  If you do, what do you think
>about its color display?  Does it give reasonably good color and contrast?
>Or should I stick with the plasma display?  Thanks for any information.
>
>S.C. Chang
>GTE Labs
>schang@gte.com

	I saw a 5200C at Comdex back in November 90.  The color
	pictures of it in Toshiba pullout ads are a pretty good
	rendition of the *pale* colors the screen puts out.
	I was not able to "test" the speed of the LCD.

	The 5200C was near a 3200x (?) that had an active-matrix
	color screen and really impressed me.  At the time (11/90)
	there were no plans to manufacture/sell the active-matrix
	display.  Once you see an active-matrix color display
	versus a passive display, it is easy to dislike the latter.

	Note: noisy power supply (high pitched sound) is a common
	complaint about 5200.  The "fuzzy" coating on the case can
	peel if you're not careful.  Other than these nits, mine has
	been reliable for almost 2 years.

	Gerard

nbladt@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Norbert Bladt) (03/28/91)

sc05@gte.com (Shih-Chio Chang) writes:

>I am thinking about buying a Toshiba T5200C -- the new laptop with a color
>LCD display.  It looks impressive from the picture in its Bytes Ad.
>The problem is that nobody that I talked to has ever seen one.  I wonder
>if anybody has seen one in some trade show?  If you do, what do you think
>about its color display?  Does it give reasonably good color and contrast?
>Or should I stick with the plasma display?  Thanks for any information.
I saw the 3200C (which should have the same display than the 5200C, just
a different processor). While it looks good, I didn't see somebody working
on it with the mouse. LCD displays are too slow for using a mouse, i.e.
you have to wait about two seconds to detect the mouse on your screen.
There seems to be one exception to that rule which is the SPARC laptop
from Toshiba. Rumour has it that they did considerable work for that.

Although I like it, I would think about buying it now, twice.
	1. Other colour LCD displays are coming up, e.g., Sharp.
	2. The difference in price is far away from being almost zero !

We have a 5200 w/o the C and it works very well.

Norbert Bladt.
--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 95 52			FAX: +41 31 52 95 44

rasmus@napc.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) (03/29/91)

In <10848@bunny.GTE.COM> sc05@gte.com (Shih-Chio Chang) writes:

>I am thinking about buying a Toshiba T5200C -- the new laptop with a color
>LCD display.  It looks impressive from the picture in its Bytes Ad.
>The problem is that nobody that I talked to has ever seen one.  I wonder
>if anybody has seen one in some trade show?  If you do, what do you think
>about its color display?  Does it give reasonably good color and contrast?
>Or should I stick with the plasma display?  Thanks for any information.

Yes, a Toshiba rep gave a demo here a NovAtel about 6 weeks ago.  I was
extremely impressed with the display.  I had expected to see ghosting
and slow screen updates, but the display was extremely fast, very crisp
and clear and had the deepest colours I have ever seen, and that includes
regular monitors.  You put it beside any regular VGA monitor and step back
4 feet and you won't be able to tell the difference.  In fact, you may even
prefer the screen on the 5200C.  And it's not really colour LCD.  It's a
colour TFT screen (Thin Film Transistor).  In short, it's excellent, but
the price to me anyway is still ludicrous.
--
Rasmus Lerdorf    calgary!ajfcal!napc!rasmus       1020-64 Ave NE, Calgary
NovAtel Advanced Product Concept Development       Alberta, Canada T2E 7V8

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (04/01/91)

The color TFT display looks great ! I saw a demo of it about 3 months
ago in a local computer show. Other than price, the only complain I
have against it is that there are a few dots here and there of "dead"
spots -- ie. those dots are permanently dead. I was told that this is
a typical problem with big LCD type display.

I just can't wait for the price to come down and for these new display
to replace my humongous 19 inch CRT display which I am staring at right
now.

Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guessed SUN, IBM or DEC, your are wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>