[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Microid BIOS

sigma@jec302.its.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (03/21/91)

akcs.gregc@vpnet.chi.il.us (*Greg*) writes:
>Your Bios could be the Microid bios.  But I'm not certain they would use
>this since Microid is a new bios that just was released not to long ago.
>And the only other vendors that use it are PC Brand.  Microid is VERY
>compatible.

But I've only heard of it being used in high-speed systems like PC Brand's
386/33 or the Micro Generation 486/33.  If it's such an improvement (and
I've heard from several people that it truly is), why not use it for other
systems like the 386/25 or 386sx/20?

PC Brand raised their prices about $250 recently.  Grr.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@rpi.edu

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (03/21/91)

->.... Bios could be the Microid bios.  But I'm not certain they would use
->this since Microid is a new bios that just was released not to long ago.
->And the only other vendors that use it are PC Brand.  Microid is VERY
->compatible.

  This may be out in left field, but the spec sheet for the "old" 486-25/33's
  from Micro Generation list the maximum RAM at 16Mb.  The tech I talked
  to (in person) says the current motherboard support a maximum of 32Mb
  if 4Mb SIMMS are used.  It's possible that their new bios (MR or ?)
  was the quickest/easiest way to get 32Mb...?

greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) (03/29/91)

sigma@jec302.its.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:

> akcs.gregc@vpnet.chi.il.us (*Greg*) writes:
> >Your Bios could be the Microid bios.  But I'm not certain they would use
> >this since Microid is a new bios that just was released not to long ago.
> >And the only other vendors that use it are PC Brand.  Microid is VERY
> >compatible.
>
> But I've only heard of it being used in high-speed systems like PC Brand's
> 386/33 or the Micro Generation 486/33.  If it's such an improvement (and
> I've heard from several people that it truly is), why not use it for other
> systems like the 386/25 or 386sx/20?
>
> PC Brand raised their prices about $250 recently.  Grr.
>
> --
> Kevin Martin
> sigma@rpi.edu

It will make the buyer buy a better more expensive machine if you use it
for higher priced machines.  Quite frankly, it might only work with DX's
32-bit crunching.  So the SX's are out on a limb.  It's probably
incompatible with 16-bit interaction.  Don't forget, this is a new
bios; and probably needs more time to adapt it to lesser machines.

So we'll just have to see what the guru's come up with.

Or should I blurt; "Demigods".
____
\GC/  Greg Clawson
 \/   Chicago IL. - The heart of America

rcollins@altos86.Altos.COM (Robert Collins) (04/02/91)

In article <TLmJZ2w164w@infopls.chi.il.us> greg@infopls.chi.il.us (Greg Clawson) writes:
>sigma@jec302.its.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:
>
>> akcs.gregc@vpnet.chi.il.us (*Greg*) writes:
>> >Your Bios could be the Microid bios.  But I'm not certain they would use
>> >this since Microid is a new bios that just was released not to long ago.
>
>It will make the buyer buy a better more expensive machine if you use it
>for higher priced machines.  Quite frankly, it might only work with DX's
>32-bit crunching.  So the SX's are out on a limb.  It's probably
>incompatible with 16-bit interaction.  Don't forget, this is a new
>bios; and probably needs more time to adapt it to lesser machines.
>
>So we'll just have to see what the guru's come up with.

Since I've been personal friends with Mikey (MR BIOS) for a couple of
years, I've seen all of the development he has done on his BIOS.  In
fact, it is safe to say that I am more familiar with his
BIOS than anybody but himself.  Those are my credentials to speak
authoritavely on his BIOS.  MR BIOS can be bought for '286, '386
(DX & SX), and '486 computers.  MR BIOS is hardly incompatible with
16-bit interaction.  Furthermore, since the BIOS is nothing more than
software, and there is NO software difference between the SX & DX, why
would MR BIOS (even allegedly) not work on an 80386 SX??

MR BIOS needs no time to adapt to lesser machines.  He won't be porting
it to chipsets that are now obsolete, so in that respect it won't adapt
to "lesser" machines.

BTW, ask my friend who runs MR BIOS on his SX if it works!

--
"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ...!sun!altos86!rcollins