[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] SIPPs vs SIMMs

jaw@cs.arizona.edu (Jim Wilson) (04/02/91)

What are the differences between SIPPs and SIMMs?

Why does one cost more than the other?

How can I tell (by looking at a motherboard) which I need?

Is one of them 'going out of style' (obsolete)?

Apologies if this stuff is in a FAQ file somewhere; I haven't
been able to locate one.

            _
           | | _  __ __
          _| || ||  |  |
 _  _  _ | | || ||     |
|_||_||_||___||_||_|_|_|

Kevin.Gmyrek@p5.f121.n324.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Gmyrek) (04/02/91)

 > What are the differences between SIPPs and SIMMs?
Well SIPPs have Pins and SIMMs don't (they have edge card connectors)

 > Why does one cost more than the other?
Shouldn't.

 > How can I tell (by looking at a motherboard) which I need?
You have either a 30 (or so) pin socket (SIPPs) or an edge card
connector the same size (SIMMs).

 > Is one of them 'going out of style' (obsolete)?
Not to speak of.  I think the SIMMs have a larger following due to
their use in the Apple computers but they're both readily available.

                                             Kevin

--- FD 1.99c
 * Origin: My two cents worth... (worth about 1.3 cents) (1:324/121.5)
--
Kevin Gmyrek - via FidoNet node 1:324/121 (UUCP/UseNet<->FidoNet gateway)
UUCP:  wizvax!buscard!121.5!Kevin.Gmyrek