[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Weird problem on DTK 386 25mh when upgrading memory to 8M

Frank_Murray@mindlink.UUCP (Frank Murray) (04/02/91)

> nbeck@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <nbeck.670609494@weber>
>
> Person: Nathaniel Beck
>
> Here is hoping that one you tech gurus have some ideas
>
> I have been running a DTK 386 25mh for over a year, no problems.
> (387, 64K cache, pem2500 motherborad, DTK bios rev 4.25 (dated
> 6/12/89 running Dos 3.3). I run a lot of big statistical programs
> that work in protected mode using various extended compilers (eg
> Phar Lap). This was with 4M memory on the motherboard.
>
> The motherboard can handle 8M so I upgraded yesterday. Fine. Machine
> finds 8M, programs like Norton and others all recognize 8M,
> diagnostics tests out 8M and say okay.
>
> BUT
>
> The only programs that work are those using 8086 mode (eg word
> procsessing and utilities). Everything that uses protected mode
> hangs up instantaneously, giving me message like "OS386 paging
> system fault" or "Processor exception while running control program,
> protected mode."
>
> I have checked the switch settings and they are right. When I
> install a ramdisk with pckwik it seems to work (although when I use
> their cache which also sits over 640K it seems to trash my fat, so I
> assume some problem). The memory itself checks out and several
> different diagnostic programs say that the 8M memory is there and
> okay.
>
> So any ideas what I should do. I obviously need to just take out the
> extra 4M and make sure that things still work with 4M Ram. But while
> I am tinkering is there anything else I might try. In particular,
> could a BIOS upgrade (or change to Phoenix or AWARD) make a
> difference? Any other ideas. Could the 386 have a page bug that only
> shows up in going past 4M?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> REgards
>
> Neal
>

> --
> Neal Beck
> Dept of Politcal Science, UCSD
> beck@ucsd.edu
> Dislaimer: The Regents pay me (a bit!) to distribute my opinions.

Strange, I am using a DTK PEM2000 20 MHz with over 8 Megs of RAM, and DTK Bios
4.26 and everything works fine.  I recently upgraded the Bios from 4.25 to 4.26
due to the configurable hard drive ability of Bios 4.26.

I am currently running Windows 3.0 in 386 Enhanced mode...no problems.

Frank
--
Frank Murray   |   a523@MindLink.UUCP
Vancouver, BC  |