[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] X 11 X Window System

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (04/03/91)

In article <101922@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> mcmillan@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (Harold McMillan) writes:
>(Gateway order discussion deleted) We'll see how it goes once I get the stuff.
>
>On another topic, I have seen some discussion of the name of The X
>Window System.  Well, here in the CIS dept. at OSU we have about 350
>Sun and HP workstations running The X Window System with at least a
>thousand users including all students, faculty, and staff, and
>basically just about everyone calls it "X".  That's it... just "X".
>Ocasionally, one might hear "X windows, but I don't think that in the
>two and a half years that I have been here I have heard anyone say "X
>window" when referring to the system.  So I don't think anyone has to
>be too concerned about what they call it.
>--
>Hal McMillan                | "It's an ideal principle, which can be verified"

The X Window System documentation for X11R* has copyright notices by
MIT and the X-Consortium specifically saying that it isn't "X-Windows" or
a variant of this, but X Window System.  As I recall "X11R4" (for the
current version) is specifically acceptable.  All of this sort of thing
is argued by lawyers, etc. etc.---the case of "Aspirin" is an oft-cited
classic.  Some "concern" about what we call the system is appropriate, at
least to the extent of reading the notices and following what they say
when writing about the system.