[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] DISK MANAGER

Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) (04/01/91)

Is DISK MANAGER public domain? If so, where can I get it from?

Raman

* "I believe in a God which doesn't need heavy financing.", Fletch *
* Raman Anand                                                      *
* CIS: 73767,2161                                                  *
* USENET: 73767.2161@compuserve.com or Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP   *
*               VANCOUVER, BEAUTIFUL BRITISH COLUMBIA              *
*           (604) 591-5344 (Home) - (604) 522-1137 (Work)          *

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (04/03/91)

In article <5351@mindlink.UUCP> Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:
>Is DISK MANAGER public domain? If so, where can I get it from?
>
>Raman

No, it is a comercial product.  I got mine from the place
where I ordered my computer.  Versions of the program are
often tweaked for the drives of a company so that people
can use the program to automatically format their drives.
That's what they tried on mine, and I didn't like it!  The
manual mode works great too, except you need to know most
of the stats on your drive.

Later,

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |
|                  Insert standard disclaimer here.                  |

sigma@obee.ipl.rpi.edu (Kevin Martin) (04/04/91)

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) writes:
>In article <5351@mindlink.UUCP> Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) writes:
>>Is DISK MANAGER public domain? If so, where can I get it from?
>
>No, it is a comercial product.  I got mine from the place
>where I ordered my computer.  Versions of the program are
>often tweaked for the drives of a company so that people
>can use the program to automatically format their drives.
>That's what they tried on mine, and I didn't like it!  The
>manual mode works great too, except you need to know most
>of the stats on your drive.

However, many drives come with an appropriate version of Disk Manager.  I'm
not sure if the commercially-sold version can handle every type of drive or
what, but nothing really justifies its (high?) expense when you might be
able to call up the place you ordered your drive from and nag them about
getting a copy.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@ipl.rpi.edu