[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 6MHz IBM BIOS patch?

dc22@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Dieter Christensen) (04/03/91)

I've got a couple old 6 MHz IBM AT's (original).

I want to run 1.44M 3.5" floppy drives in them.

Everyone tells me that there is no hardware fix except a new motherboard
(BIOS chips, HD floppy adaptor cards, etc. won't work right).

Does anyone happen to have or know anything about a software patch
that goes into the config.sys file that will allow 3.5" drives?

ComputerLand used to have such a thing, but they don't distribute it
anymore.

I appreciate any help or leads...

(Please reply by mail because I don't have the chance to read this newsgroup
very often...)

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.205341.24007@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> dc22@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:
>I've got a couple old 6 MHz IBM AT's (original).
>
>I want to run 1.44M 3.5" floppy drives in them.
>
>Everyone tells me that there is no hardware fix except a new motherboard
>(BIOS chips, HD floppy adaptor cards, etc. won't work right).

I have an original 6MHz IBM AT as well and I'm using a 1.44M 3.5" drive
without any changes to the hardware or BIOS at all.  Just plug the drive
into the floppy controller and all's well.  You must, however, use at
least DOS 3.2 for 720K floppies or DOS 3.3 for 1.44M floppies.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway