[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] IBM PS2/30 Floppy Help Needed

richarbm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bryan Richardson) (04/03/91)

Help!  I'm not a reader of these newsgroups, but I could use some
advice regarding the recent demise of my 3 1/2" floppy drive.

The drive is a 720 K drive standard issue on IBM PS/2 model 30's,
vintage 1988, and has recently refused to read files on any of my disks.
As the drive is not frequently used, I suspect that it is out of
alignment, but I don't know for sure.  I consulted with the local
"Computerland" and they recommended just replacing the drive
with a refurbished 1.44 M drive outright at a cost of $80 plus
$40 for labor.  Does this sound reasonable?

If replacement is the route, is it even possible to upgrade to a
1.44 M drive?  (I assume that it is.)  Also, would it make more
sense to buy one mail order and install it myself?  I'm not a
hardware person, but am not a total klutz, either.  Also, are there
any recommended or should-avoids in the computer mail-order arena?

Please reply via email to richarbm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu.  Thanks in
advance for your advice and help.

Bryan Richardson                               richarbm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
AT&T Bell Laboratories and, for 1991, Purdue University
Disclaimer:  Neither AT&T nor Purdue are responsible for my opinions.

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (04/04/91)

In article <9358@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> richarbm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bryan Richardson) writes:
>Help!  I'm not a reader of these newsgroups, but I could use some
>advice regarding the recent demise of my 3 1/2" floppy drive.
>
>The drive is a 720 K drive standard issue on IBM PS/2 model 30's,
>vintage 1988, and has recently refused to read files on any of my disks.
>As the drive is not frequently used, I suspect that it is out of
>alignment, but I don't know for sure.  I consulted with the local
>"Computerland" and they recommended just replacing the drive
>with a refurbished 1.44 M drive outright at a cost of $80 plus
>$40 for labor.  Does this sound reasonable?
>
>If replacement is the route, is it even possible to upgrade to a
>1.44 M drive?  (I assume that it is.)  Also, would it make more
>sense to buy one mail order and install it myself?  I'm not a
>hardware person, but am not a total klutz, either.  Also, are there
>any recommended or should-avoids in the computer mail-order arena?

Nobody fixes floppy drives anymore; it's cheaper just to replace it.
And $80 for a real IBM floppy is extraordinarily cheap. I'd just take
your dealer up on the offer. Furthermore, if it doesn't work, it's
=his= problem.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE: